• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

help pls, replacement droid not getting my apps downloaded

boatman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
Got my warranty replacement droid yesterday. Re signed into my google account.

Went to market, went to my downloads, saw large list of my apps that should have been downloaded.

Went to bed. Woke up this morning, and none of my apps are on my home button.

Went back to market, has about 2/3 of my apps saying 'starting download', another 1/3 saying 'installing'.

But this has been 8 hours and nothing is actually installed. If I go to an app that says starting download, I can cancel it, then hit install button, and it installs. But I don't want to do this for like 30 apps if I don't have to.

Also have tried a reboot, but so far, nothing better.

I am connected to home wifi, so good speed. Before I got replacement phone I wiped my bad phone to see if it would help, and apps came back within an hour.

Any suggestions as to how to get apps back?

I have noticed that when you switch from 3G to WiFi and vice versa, sometimes the Market app has issues with the new connection. The only thing that I have ever been able to do to correct this was to stop the downloads (I had to stop ALL of them) and start over again. I have a couple of places where my profile turns on WiFi and the phone automatically connects. I have trained myself that before I do anything with the Market app, I start it, back out and restart it to avoid any issues.

I'm sure this doesn't help, but thought you might want to know.

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
Bigred, thanks. However, my situation has gone a bit further. The ones saying download, I was able to get into and cancel, hit install, and somehow all of them downloaded and installed.

But the ones saying installing, are stuck there, and I can't figure out how to cancel, the only button is install and greyed out.

Is my only option to wipe the phone and start again, which I guess at this point is no big deal since I haven't set anything up?

Upvote 0
update: reset my phone. lots of apps downloaded, but not all! and it doesn't show them in the market.

For instance, I had weatherbug and astrid. These are not downloaded, nor do they show. I remembered I had them, but I think I had about 80 apps, and I only have about 50 installed. Is there a way to find out what apps I had associated with my account, and I will re download each one? This is really perplexing me. Also, Is this a function of the phone, so should I get another replacement, or is this just a market function. Finally, is there someway to force a market update? Thanks.

Upvote 0
update: reset my phone. lots of apps downloaded, but not all! and it doesn't show them in the market.

For instance, I had weatherbug and astrid. These are not downloaded, nor do they show. I remembered I had them, but I think I had about 80 apps, and I only have about 50 installed. Is there a way to find out what apps I had associated with my account, and I will re download each one? This is really perplexing me. Also, Is this a function of the phone, so should I get another replacement, or is this just a market function. Finally, is there someway to force a market update? Thanks.

Here is what I have observed. When you reset your phone, most of the time (but not all) the phone will resync with the market and put your apps back on. I have done this many times and usually, everything that was installed prior to the reset comes back, but not always. I have never had my paid apps not come back, but I have had freebies not reload. I have no idea why some of the freebies don't reload. Unfortunately, if you uninstall a freebie, it disappears from your download list on the Market. Astrid, for example, is a freebie and it sometimes doesn't reload. Since it is a freebie, you have to go looking for it again to reload it. I also use Weatherbug, but I purchased the Elite version. Prior to purchasing that version, it was also problematic about reloading after a reset.

Now that I have said all that...Once you get the phone set back up the way you want, download an app called AppBrain. Once installed and synced, it keeps track of what apps you have on your phone and after a reset, you can resync with AppBrain and it will fill in the missing apps. Another advantage to AppBrain is that you can logon to your account from a PC, see everything that you have installed, add/remove stuff, search the market and queue an app to be installed. You then run the app from your phone and resync and it'll install the new stuff, uninstall the stuff you wanted removed and keep your app list current. It works great and you can also run it from SD.

OK, I've babbled long enough. I hope this helps some.

BigRedGonzo

Reactions: boatman
Upvote 0
... Appbrain sounds like it should be on anyone's phone who is downloading lots of stuff. Getting it now.

AppBrain is a great app and if you flash a lot of ROMs or find yourself resetting your Droid often, it is invaluable. One particular feature that I like is the ability to search the Market from the PC (like Android Zoom or Android Lib) and then one click and you have the app installed.

Good Droiding,
BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones