• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP!!! Potential Brick.

UB,
how do I save and restore text and call log? I restore handcent everytime with data but I have no texts.

And does anyone know if there is a way to save playlists from eliot stocker music mod? I hate making new playlists everytime I flash a rom. Maybe my biggest deterrent to flashing more roms.

Just do this for any app you want to restore the data for. Works for messaging, google voice, sms call log, dialer storage. Anything in green you should restore. I also do this for apps like "email 2.2" so you don't have to type all of your pop3 or exchange settings in every time ;)

Once you restore missing apps with data, from the main screen of TiBu, press "Backup/ Restore" (top middle button). From there, you can click on an app and restore the data. For example, click on "[ALARMS] Clock 2.2", then when you see the popup...click "Restore" and select "Data only" (may be the only option...may have multiple options listed). Restoring data only is basically what you needto do from this point.

Upvote 0
Just do this for any app you want to restore the data for. Works for messaging, google voice, sms call log, dialer storage. Anything in green you should restore. I also do this for apps like "email 2.2" so you don't have to type all of your pop3 or exchange settings in every time ;)

That's the process I follow. I do it for almost every app after flashing (if I want the data). Even after restoring the app and data, I'll go back and restore data alone and I still have no text messages. I use it for my email 2.2 as well. But I've never got my text messages to restore. It'll restore all my settings and cosmetic changes like background pictures and all of that, but it has no texts. This is with Handcent. Would you suggest restoring data from the stock sms? I also do not understand how to restore the call log with TiBU. I can restore data to anything else, just no text messages in Handcent and no call log.

Would call log be under contact storage? I've never tried that because Google restores the contacts automatically.

And I figured out how to save and restore music mod playlists!! :D

Upvote 0
I'm rooted. Downloaded to sd card LFYv1.6, BBFYv1.6 and LFY1200. I followed OMJ's guide step by step and now all it does is reboot to the M screen. Tried to reboot again and still flashes the M screen. Tried to do a nandroid restore and it flashes the M screen.

if you still cant get the rom to boot you may need to run SBF and restart from factory. there will be a how to on the all things root board. (http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/136508-guide-all-things-root-related.html under the reverting back to 2.0 sub section)

also on a seperate note for those users getting cannount mount block to sd card.

I get that everytime I try to get a new rom theme or kernel running not sure why but after trying to do any of those actions like 5 or so times it usually works fine. slight inconvinience nothing else.

Upvote 0
That's the process I follow. I do it for almost every app after flashing (if I want the data). Even after restoring the app and data, I'll go back and restore data alone and I still have no text messages. I use it for my email 2.2 as well. But I've never got my text messages to restore. It'll restore all my settings and cosmetic changes like background pictures and all of that, but it has no texts. This is with Handcent. Would you suggest restoring data from the stock sms? I also do not understand how to restore the call log with TiBU. I can restore data to anything else, just no text messages in Handcent and no call log.

Would call log be under contact storage? I've never tried that because Google restores the contacts automatically.

And I figured out how to save and restore music mod playlists!! :D

Hey SoDroid...just now saw this...my bad :eek:
I just loaded a new ROM last night and I have all of my text messages, phone call history, etc back (as always). I don't use stock...I use google voice but this is how I got them back.

Open TiBu > Backup/Restore > Restore data for everything listed in green along with applications like email 2.2 for example.

Question...when you make a backup with TiBu...what do you make a backup of?

You should go to Batch > Backup all user apps + system data

If you are backing up JUST the user apps...that's your problem. ;)

Reactions: SoDroid
Upvote 0
Hey SoDroid...just now saw this...my bad :eek:
I just loaded a new ROM last night and I have all of my text messages, phone call history, etc back (as always). I don't use stock...I use google voice but this is how I got them back.

Open TiBu > Backup/Restore > Restore data for everything listed in green along with applications like email 2.2 for example.

Question...when you make a backup with TiBu...what do you make a backup of?

You should go to Batch > Backup all user apps + system data

If you are backing up JUST the user apps...that's your problem. ;)

No worries at all. And you hit it right on the head! I've only been restoring apps due to a major problem I had during the switch from 2.1 to 2.2. As a result, I began only restoring apps. Thanks a lot! You just saved me time, and my friends from having to purchase My Backup Pro :D

Upvote 0
No worries at all. And you hit it right on the head! I've only been restoring apps due to a major problem I had during the switch from 2.1 to 2.2. As a result, I began only restoring apps. Thanks a lot! You just saved me time, and my friends from having to purchase My Backup Pro :D

I hate to turn away people and cost developers money...but My Backup Pro is simply unnecessary when you have TiBu.

Upvote 0
My brother went to college a few weeks ago (Freshman at ASU!!!) and I wrote a brief step by step for him so he could continue flashing roms. This was written fairly personally but it should apply to flashing in general. It is below, let me know if you have any questions. If anyone sees something I should remove or add, please let me know. This starts at the beginning of the process.

Do the Following:
1) Update all apps first!
2) Backup Call Log and texts with Wavesecure or Mybackup Pro
3) Sync bookmarks and save
4) Back LauncherPro Settings
5) Force redo of all backups with Titanium Backup
You will create a full system backup just before you flash.

Ready to flash!

Using rom manager:
1) Go to Download ROM
2) Select the ROM you would like and download it
3) When the download is complete, you will be prompted to wipe data & cache as well as backup current rom. Check both and proceed.

Restoring you Files
Within about 10 minutes, you should have a new ROM loaded. You will be asked to sign into Google, do so. Google will automatically restore the apps you had from the market. This can take up to 15 minutes; phone will run very slow during this time as it is working. Anything that is not restored, use Titanium Backup to restore it. TiBU will also restore data. For example, if you have an app that has multiple accounts with log ins and do not feel like inputting that data, just go to TiBU, go to the app, and hit restore, data only.

Upvote 0
SoDroid, I followed your steps here and installed LFYv1.6 with it's stock Kernel. Worked fine. Then tried to install the Black and Bold theme once and it failed. Flashed the recovery and tried installing it a second time and says it completed but when it tried to reboot all it does now is flash the DROID with the starfield. It's frozen at this screen.

How did you apply the theme? Did you do it through rom manager or download it via computer or phone then flash it? I just want to make sure that you're flashing a theme meant for LFY 1.6 and that you flashed it the same way you flash a kernel. Also, the download could be corrupt. I would re-download it. Corrupt downloads happen somewhat often.

If you're restoring your LFY backup and it won't go past the starfield screen, there may be an issue with that backup. At what point did you backup?

Depending on your answers, you may have to reflash the rom. I should also say that the guide above is meant to help guide you through the process to make each flash fast and complete. Its not necessarily a step by step guide to flashing and there is a minimum understanding of rom-ing I anticipated when I wrote it. I don't go into detail much because I wrote it for my Bro and he already knows the basics. But it should 'generally' walk you through the process. I'll post a disclaimer in it, sorry I didn't do that before.

The more info you provide, the easier it'll be to troubleshoot! ;)

Upvote 0
I dl the ROM, Kernels and theme and installed it to my Sd card. The theme is also from Liquid. It's the Black and Bold one. I installed the ROM from my SD card through ROM MGR. It worked fine. I did play around with some settings and restored some apps and stuff. Then i tried the theme and hit a wall. I am now trying to DL through ROM MGR now and see what happens.

As far as a disclaimer, no biggie for me. The more i play around, the more i'll learn. And i'm here to learn.

Upvote 0
As far as a disclaimer, no biggie for me. The more i play around, the more i'll learn. And i'm here to learn.
I like the spirit :D. Just always read and don't freak out when something goes wrong. It will happen and there is a fix for it.

I dl the ROM, Kernels and theme and installed it to my Sd card. The theme is also from Liquid. It's the Black and Bold one. I installed the ROM from my SD card through ROM MGR. It worked fine. I did play around with some settings and restored some apps and stuff. Then i tried the theme and hit a wall. I am now trying to DL through ROM MGR now and see what happens.

So you can load LFY fine, it just goes wrong when flashing the theme? If that's the case, delete the theme you have now from the SD card and re-download the theme to your phone. It sounds like you may have a corrupt download. It also sounds like your already doing this so your on the right track!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones