• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help - Problem Rooting Nook

Girevik

Android Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2010
Ok. I followed the instructions on the XDA Forum (this: [NC][1.2][1.3] ManualNooter 4.6.16 - xda-developers) linked from the "Nook color reading guide up to step 9 which says "After reboot and unlocking your device select Zeam Launcher." I'm a bit confused at this point.

When I boot from the SD card that I created, I don't see anything that looks like "Zeam Laucher". When I remove the SD card, it just keeps cycling through through the Nook Color animation, where it spells out "nook color", and then putting the "color" under the "n" symbol.

Maybe I did something out of order. Basically, here's what I did

1. Created the bootable SD card with both ManualNooter 4-5-18 and 4-6-26.
2. Booted with the card and ran NM 4-5-18
3. Re-booted and ran 4-6-16.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Zeam launcher is an app that gets installed on your NC. It'll be with your other apps.

First of all, my understanding is you're supposed to do everything with both files, including booting into your NC. I suspect that question has been asked a few times if you read a few pages.

I have my wife's NC for a few weeks. I suspect I'll have to back it up and restore it to stock and actually try this. :D

Meanwhile, I'd reflash the first file and see if it boots up. Make sure you wait at least 5 minutes.

Reactions: Girevik
Upvote 0
Yeah, I wasn't quite sure what to search for on this.

So what you're saying is that I should have run the first Nooter zip, taken the card out and booted into the Nook, and then repeated the process with the 2nd one? I'll give that a shot tonight. Hopefully just flashing that first file again will work and I won't have to restore to stock and then start over.

If I have to do that, will the "factory reset" option on the bootable card do that for me, or to I have to follow the "return to stock" instrcutions in that same thread?

Upvote 0
I'd go into recovery, format cache (under formats), clear Dalvik cache (under advanced) and remove the card and see what happens. Let it run for 5 minutes.

If that doesn't work, then repeat and this time also format data and remove the card and let it run for 5 minutes.

Hopefully one of these will work and get you up and running. You will lose your prefs by formatting it, but you'd lose it by returning to stock as well.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw that post about 1.4. I guess as long as the same files work I can live with doing it again. At least I should be well practiced.

I've formated the cache and cleared the Dalvik cache. So far it's still spinning, but I'm still waiting the 5 minutes. If this dosn't work, should the "wipe data/factory reset" do the trick?

Edit -- No love. It's still looping.

Upvote 0
I guess what I was asking if the "factory reset" bit would get me back to stock. Sounds like at this point it can't hurt to give it a try, but looks like that's not working either.

So I guess for now the question is how to I get back to my stock 1.3, and then getting from there to rooted. But I that'll have to wait until tomorrow....I'm going to bed. Thanks for the help...hopefully I'll get it nailed down tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Ok, Gerivik is getting worried.

I did this:

- formatted system
- formatted data (I tried the whole prcess a 2nd time and noticed I'm getting an error here)
- formatted cache
- cleared Dalvik cache (this always causes it to lock up and I have to power down)
- applied update-nc-stock-1.3-keepcwm
- applied update-nc-stock-1.3
- took out the card and rebooted

I'm still looping on the "nook color" screen. I know I probably haven't totally screwed it, but that error formating the data is making me nervous......

EDIT ----

Gerivik is feeling much better now. The "8 failed boots" method here got me back to stock. Now for another thread on my best approach....

Upvote 0
My advice: consider the current root of 1.4.1 to be very early development work. The A market does not work, and the book download from BN stuff seems to me to be broken as well.

For the time being, if root is important to you, block the OTA updates and root 1.2 or 1.3, which work.

I have a build.prop hack that blocks OTA update and does not require root, as you can install from CWR.

I can't post links here, there are posts at XDA with the file locations, etc.

I've never got the 8 failed boots to work for me. (Is it fail 8 times or fail 7 and 8th reboot will restore? Never sure how that works). :D

Just flash the one file, but doing both doesn't hurt to do both.

I restored to 1.3, but the 1.4.1 update fails to install here.

Upvote 0
I've never got the 8 failed boots to work for me. (Is it fail 8 times or fail 7 and 8th reboot will restore? Never sure how that works). :D

Just flash the one file, but doing both doesn't hurt to do both.

I restored to 1.3, but the 1.4.1 update fails to install here.

Not sure how many boots it was. I thought I had goofed up and started my count over and was surprised when it kicked into recovery mode.

Ny the "one file" to you mean "update-nc-stock-1.3"?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones