• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root help putting rom on phone

tsargent347

Aug 24, 2011
Upstate South Carolina
hey guys, ive decided to go ahead and root my phone..im still undecieded whether to go back to froyo or root gingerbread...i understand that gingerbread only has two roms as of right now and both are having market download issues with paid apps unless you flash the dark market..but i dont understand how to get to flashing a rom on my phone is my issue..when i root will i have clockwork or do i need the droid2bootstrap..and ive been told not to use d2bootstrap after i put a rom on it cause it can mess the phone up..some help would greatly b appericated im just slightly confused :thinking:

I haven't used metamorph since probably before froyo. I didn't find it necessary. I don't know if it'll work with gb. Good question.

Droid 2 bootstrap is what you use and it works fine. We had a bit of a glitch with clockworkmod recovery last week, but the mod seems to have fixed it. Regarding Rom Manager, there is a glitch, which I'm sure will also be fixed. As of now, not all actions work in it. It worked with .596 GB, but not with .602 for some reason. Additionally, with .602, I seem unable to get into STOCK recovery anymore. Either they changed it or excluded it. More on that when we find out more.

Regarding roms, we have a ton of them. Please look here for a complete and easy to navigate list of roms and themes. The thread was compiled by VoidedSaint... great job.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Upvote 0
do you have a link to a step by step for putting a rom on my phone? and when i use d2bootstrap what will it do? will it flash clockwork for me? and will i need to install the mod to get it to work? cause all ive ever done is rooted and put a rom on my OLD eris (cm7) and i rooted and put a light rom on my samsung fascinate and its completly different than the x and i just dont want to screw my everday phone up

Upvote 0
tsargent it apears I haven't given you a full understanding of d2 bootstrap in your last posts. d2 bootstrap can mess up your phone ONLY on 2nd init Roms. It's perfectly safe to use d2 bootstrap on regular Froyo and Gingerbread Roms.

In fact it's the best way to get into clockwork recovery when you are on Froyo or Gingerbread. If you want to flash a Gingerbread Rom than your safer to be on GB .596 not .602. I hear that Apex is working for .602 but others are untested as of yet.

So if you would like to be on Gingerbread with a Rom Then your best course of action would be to SBF back to Froyo, root with z4root, install d2 bootstrap, and flash the prerooted 2 file GB .596. Once you have done that you can choose a Rom to flash that works with GB .596.

As always be sure your battery is fully charged before you start flashing. You don't want your phone to die midflash. That's a headache you don't want.

Upvote 0
yeah i couldnt find the thread where u had told me what the d2strapper would do and what it wouldnt do..im just wanting a rom that is speedy good battery life but i want to b able to buy apps and stuff and with apex i wouldnt b able to do that without the dark market correct? and woth ninjamorph and metamorph i just didnt know what they were..ive never flashed a theme and herd flashing themes could also mess up your phone..

Upvote 0
so do you think that .596 are better roms than .602 as of right now? and is the only way to get to rooted .596 the 2 part file from TBH?

I am still on .596 and running DarkSlide right now. Just waiting on more things to come out for .602 before I upgrade. I would say there are probably more roms available right now for .596 than .602, just because .602 is still new. That will change quickly though.

2 part TBH is the way I use to get there. Here is some advice than can help you. Go ahead and copy Droid 2 Bootstrapper, Z4Root, and the 2 part TBH files to your SDcard. Then once you do your sbf and reboot, don't sign in, do the short cut when it comes up to the droid guy and the sign in screen tap quickly on the top left, top right, bottom right and bottom left of the screen to by pass having to log in. Then you can use the "Files" app and go and install Z4Root (it will install much quicker this way). Once you are rooted, then use the "Files" app in install Droid 2 Bootstrapper. Once Bootstrapper is installed then you can boot into CWR recovery and install the 2 part TBH and then be rooted and on .596. I have just recently done this numerous times and works great and very quick.

Upvote 0
You plug your phone into your computer and click "open folder" like you would any other file. The first window that comes up is the root of you sd card. You would take all the files you need, bootstrap, z4root, GB files, and copy them to the card. Then you unplug your phone.

Then you just follow the directions darkcypber gave you. Here is the link for the GB files you need. Be sure to follow the instructions on that page. You will be using method 2.

Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones