1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HELP!!! Ransomeware on Prevail 2 with CWM Recovery

Discussion in 'Android Rooting' started by Crimson8284, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Crimson8284

Crimson8284 Lurker

Ok so my man accidentally got that stupid virus on my old cell. U can't even open system settings from tha drop down bar. Strait lokt. I have CWM KoumaJutsu recovery on it. v6.0.3.7
    I have it in recovery mode and did a backup. Is there a way I ca access that backup file to retrieve his contacts from it? That's really tha only thing we're worried bout getting back if I hafta do a factory restore on it.
    I'm also hoping there's another route vs doing a factory restore on it??? Thanx a ton!
    Blessed Be

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Whether there's another route depends on whether you can identify the ransomware package. If you can then you should be able to use ADB to remove it while the phone is in CWM.

It also depends on whether it's installed as a system or user app? If it's a user app then a factory reset will remove it, but if it's a system that will have no effect (reflashing the ROM is the simplest fix in that case.

If your contacts are synced with Google you have a backup that you can restore anyway. If not, then Titanium Backup Pro should be able to extract them from a CWM backup (whether it can restore them to a different ROM I can't recall offhand).