1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

help - receive customer sms - lookup database & reply with unique info

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by pubjive, Feb 2, 2014.

1. pubjive

pubjive Lurker
    None

Feb 2, 2014
    Hi

I have read as many threads as I can to find what I'm looking for and am quite confused with some of the jargon & acronyms. Therefore, I'm having difficulty understanding some potentially helpful one's.

Firstly, I guess I need to know if what I'm wanting to do is even possible (I am figuring that just about anything is possible with Tasker)

MY AIM:
    I have a large number of social club members in a database app called "Sailforms". Members are constantly calling me to ask if their membership is current or expired. I'd like to create a task that, if they send concatenated content (Surname+FirstName) via sms, it launches the Sailforms app, looks up the member details & replies to their sms with their status. Is this possible?

If it is possible, the next question of course is, where do I start? I'm beginning to feel this is very much beyond me :(

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Advertisement

2. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member
    None

May 29, 2010
    I'm not familiar with this particular app, but apps that are possible to control with Tasker usually state so in their description.
    If you create or edit an existing task and go to add an action, can you find your app under the Plugin category? I've looked at 3rd Party and it's not there.
    If you can't find it, chances are that what you want to do is not possible.
    The other way that Tasker can interact with other apps is via 'intents', but they vary on an app by app basis, you won

3. pubjive

pubjive Lurker
    None

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks for the prompt response. I'll try playing with it based on your suggestions. If anyone else can add anything itt would be appreciated.

4. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Performing an action based upon the content of an SMS is quite easy - the much trickier part is going to be interacting with your database. I haven't been able to find any plugin that would accomplish what you're after. You may want to contact the application developer and see if they allow for any sort of external access to their database. Short of that, I'm afraid you're likely out of luck.

5. KitWasHere

KitWasHere Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2013
    You could check if that app keeps an sql database of the info your after. You will probably need root to get at that file if there is one.
    SQL Debugger is a good app that will let you look around at all of your apps .db's

6. pubjive

pubjive Lurker
    None

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks codesplice & KitWasHere
    I'll check with the app developer on both and post the reply here. The developer is very proactive and continually updates and adds new features.
    My SG Note II is rooted.
    I appreciate the support & I'm sure if what I'm trying to achieve can eventually be done is going to open both Tasker & Sailform Pro up to a whole new market ...both are very powerful apps in their own rights (both a bit complicated for the likes of me though)