• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Removing CityID, etc. (have root)

PSUBALL10

Mar 23, 2010
PA
Got a few questions. I was able to root using unrevoked 3.0, was extremely easy with my macbook with 10.6.4. Now i have some questions.
#1. How do i get back to the clockworkmod screen once my phone has booted?
#2. Having a mac how do i go about removing cityid and other preinstalled app?
Thanks

I was able to find this:

- Download the Android SDK for Macintosh at: Android SDK | Android Developers
- Extract it
- Download Fastboot for OSX (If not included with SDK)
- Extract fastboot and place it in your /tools folder.
- Open up a terminal window
- type: pico .bash_profile (this will create a .bash_profile)
- type the following in the new screen: export PATH=$
{PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools
- Hit CNTRL + X
- Hit Y (for yes to save)
- It will return you to the terminal screen&#8230; type: exit
- Restart terminal.
- Then you can use your adb commands like you would on a PC. To test this, plug your device in (make sure its in debugging mode), then type "adb devices" in the new terminal window. It should show up with a number. This means you are good to go.

Do i need to download the SDK and Fastboot or was it included in revoked 3.0?

Upvote 0
Got a few questions. I was able to root using unrevoked 3.0, was extremely easy with my macbook with 10.6.4. Now i have some questions.
#1. How do i get back to the clockworkmod screen once my phone has booted?
#2. Having a mac how do i go about removing cityid and other preinstalled app?
Thanks

I'm on mac as well so I can help you out

1. Once your phone has booted, you'll have to turn off your phone. Once it's off, hold Volume (-) and the power button. Then using the volume down button go to Recovery, press the power button. You are now in the clockworkmod screen.

2. To remove cityid, make sure you have the android SDK (available from Google). I would rename the folder that you unzip to just "sdk". Then open up a terminal. Right now my sdk folder is in downloads, so in terminal type "cd downloads/sdk/tools" without the quotes.
Plug in your device. From the clockworkmod recovery main menu select partitions menu, then select mount /system.
Then in terminal type in "./adb shell"
then type in "mkdir /system/app.disabled"
Then type in "mv /system/app/CityID.apk /system/app.disabled/"

Then simply type exit in terminal, and umount /system on your CWM Recovery screen, press the power button to bring you to your main screen, then press Reboot phone.

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I'm on mac as well so I can help you out

1. Once your phone has booted, you'll have to turn off your phone. Once it's off, hold Volume (-) and the power button. Then using the volume down button go to Recovery, press the power button. You are now in the clockworkmod screen.

2. To remove cityid, make sure you have the android SDK (available from Google). I would rename the folder that you unzip to just "sdk". Then open up a terminal. Right now my sdk folder is in downloads, so in terminal type "cd downloads/sdk/tools" without the quotes.
Plug in your device. From the clockworkmod recovery main menu select partitions menu, then select mount /system.
Then in terminal type in "./adb shell"
then type in "mkdir /system/app.disabled"
Then type in "mv /system/app/CityID.apk /system/app.disabled/"

Then simply type exit in terminal, and umount /system on your CWM Recovery screen, press the power button to bring you to your main screen, then press Reboot phone.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much! I got #1 figured out. #2 is still giving me a problem. I followed everything from what i posted and then did what you had listed. Here is what terminal is telling me:

MacBook:~ PSUBALL$ cd /Users/PSUBALL/Android/sdk/tools
MacBook:tools PSUBALL$ ./adb shell
~ # mkdir /system/app.disabled
~ # mv /system/app/CityID.apk /system/app.disabled/
mv: can't rename '/system/app/CityID.apk': No such file or directory

Can you help me out with any of that? Thanks

Upvote 0
Thank you very much! I got #1 figured out. #2 is still giving me a problem. I followed everything from what i posted and then did what you had listed. Here is what terminal is telling me:

MacBook:~ PSUBALL$ cd /Users/PSUBALL/Android/sdk/tools
MacBook:tools PSUBALL$ ./adb shell
~ # mkdir /system/app.disabled
~ # mv /system/app/CityID.apk /system/app.disabled/
mv: can't rename '/system/app/CityID.apk': No such file or directory

Can you help me out with any of that? Thanks

i'm on a mac as well and was able to remove CityID with no problems. just make sure u select mount/system on recovery screen by pushing the scroll/optical button (it should change from "mount/system" to "unmount/system"). then u type ./adb shell within the appropiate directory and it should go through with the rest of the commands. hope this helps... apologies in advance if u have either already tried it prior to ur first post or tried it after my post and still doesn't work. i don't know much about root but was able to accomplish with the new unrevoked v3.1 one click process on first try. good luck...

Upvote 0
i'm on a mac as well and was able to remove CityID with no problems. just make sure u select mount/system on recovery screen by pushing the scroll/optical button (it should change from "mount/system" to "unmount/system"). then u type ./adb shell within the appropiate directory and it should go through with the rest of the commands. hope this helps... apologies in advance if u have either already tried it prior to ur first post or tried it after my post and still doesn't work. i don't know much about root but was able to accomplish with the new unrevoked v3.1 one click process on first try. good luck...

Thanks for the info, i rooted with unrevoked v3.0 and didnt have any issues. The problem is coming when trying to uninstall CityID and other apps. I am not familar with terminal so that doesnt help.
You said that you just typed in ./adb shell did you not install the SKD and Fastboot file? Something has to be wrong since my terminal is telling me that here is no such directory for '/system/app/CityID.apk'

Upvote 0
To all those having problems: is /system mounted from the phone? If it isn't then it will give you an error something along the lines of "that there is no such directory for '/system/app/CityID.apk'"

PSUBALL: Your error is saying that CityID.apk doesn't exist at all, which makes me wonder if it is already deleted? If you reboot your phone, is CityID in the app list still?

Mrgadgetz: CityID is just annoying after your 14 day trial period, so most people (like myself) like to uninstall it

I'm willing to help, I'm somewhat familiar with terminal, and I'm also on a Mac using unrEVOked3, so I'll try to help as much as possible.

Reactions: PSUBALL10
Upvote 0
To all those having problems: is /system mounted from the phone? If it isn't then it will give you an error something along the lines of "that there is no such directory for '/system/app/CityID.apk'"

PSUBALL: Your error is saying that CityID.apk doesn't exist at all, which makes me wonder if it is already deleted? If you reboot your phone, is CityID in the app list still?

Mrgadgetz: CityID is just annoying after your 14 day trial period, so most people (like myself) like to uninstall it

I'm willing to help, I'm somewhat familiar with terminal, and I'm also on a Mac using unrEVOked3, so I'll try to help as much as possible.

Thank you for your help, after a reboot it is gone from my phone. Now it is just a matter of figuring how what set of commands did it :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Does cityID slow down the incredible.

No but its like having spyware on your computer. Who the heck wants ads for a service you don't want nagging you after every other call or so?

Also, I don't think any of these instructions out here completely uninstall CityID.

There are several steps.
from Clockwork with /system mounted:

Code:
rm /system/app/CityID.apk
rm /system/framework/com.cequint.platform.jar
rm /system/framework/com.cequint.platform.odex

Reboot back to home screen.

Code:
adb shell
su
pm uninstall com.cequint.cityid

This is the proper way to completely remove that crapware from your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones