1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help removing "system data" because it taking up all my storage space

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Android Question

Have LG Vista and I have MAJOR STORAGE ISSUES. I just purchased this phone last week and only have 0.68GB of storage space remaining because of the annoying "system data" which is consuming over 4.00GB.

I moved most everything I could to my sd card, I have erased all non-essential apps, miscellaneous files, folders, etc. to regain storage space but that did not work too well, barely regained any space at all thanks to that damn system data!. Tried following the adive from a post I recently read in android forums to call *#9900# and follow directions but got a Verizon recording that this option was no longer available. So, I got desperate and did a factory reset and steel the system data is taking up all my storage. I have no way or know how to remove it. I would appreciate any advice of any simple ways to do it especially if they're free without having to spend a lot of money on an app but I'll do whatever it takes and just let me thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

Sincerely,

BB

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The trouble is that "system data" could mean anything. It might even be referring to the total size of the system partition, in which case this would be a total red herring because nothing you do will change the partition size. If it's unchanged immediately after a factory reset I suspect it might be something misleading like that (unless you have stuff automatically restoring from a network backup after doing the reset).

So just to make sure we're clear what your storage situation is, could you install a small app called "Storage Truth" from the Play Store, run it and post the output here? There's a sticky post about this app in this forum. All it does is print the sizes and free space in each of your partitions, but it's usually clearer than system "storage" menus which vary between manufacturers and are often quite confusing.

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

scary alien likes this.
  4. Father Guido

Father Guido Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the link.

Back on topic: As far as I know the /system partition is a fixed size as already noted. To gain any actual user space, I remove the bloat from /system then convert my "must have" user apps to system apps. TiB makes this quite easy, but isn't free. I know of one in the F-droid repo that is. I believe that it's called system/app/mover. Just be careful because once removed not even a factory reset will bring it back. I recommend TiB (unless you have a recent nandroid via custom recovery) so you can backup any apk prior to removal.
    In a nutshell, any apk you move from /data/apps to /system/app is now available for other usage.

#4 Father Guido, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    scary alien likes this.
  5. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

You've got to be rooted to change user apps into system apps, and you've got to really trust the apps you are making into system apps.

scary alien likes this.