• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

help resolving MetroPCS vs T-Mobile confusion

So MetroPCS doesn't charge taxes/fees but T-Mobile does?
T- mobile prepaid has tax inclusive just as metro does.
Nope metros tax inclusive

So if you already have aT-Mobile account but need a new phone and want the F3 then it woul dmake sense to get it from MetroPCS for $150 instead of from T-Mobile at $240 and just pop your SIM into it correct? I assume the MetroPCS allows the SIM to be swapped. Will it require unlocking to do this?

yes it will need to be unlocked.
Really? even though they both run on tmo network?:thinking:

Thats like buying a tmo phone for straight talk with tmobile, or simple mobile, the phone does not need unlocking so why would it in that ^ case?

Upvote 0
That Occam's razor thang works for me here.

The simplest reason why (and thusly by OR the most likely) is that Metro doesn't want Any hassles with a BYOD phone they switched over coming down on the Next Blacklist (with the BL date the day before the Metro activate) and risk having to tell the customer, sorry, you no longer have a working phone, click, buzzzzzz. The easiest way to do that is to make sure Every BYOD device is unlocked. That should if I understand things correctly, solve any potential black list problem.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
it may not *need* it but considering teh trouble bishop was having with his sgs4 and they kept saying they wouldnt touch it unless it was unlocked etc.. just not worth it imo for all the hassle.
What I am thinking too, I mentioned to Bishop he should go in and tell them, even though it wasnt, that it was unlocked and see what happens.
Course by that time he had unlocked it already.
That Occam's razor thang works for me here.

The simplest reason why (and thusly by OR the most likely) is that Metro doesn't want Any hassles with a BYOD phone they switched over coming down on the Next Blacklist (with the BL date the day before the Metro activate) and risk having to tell the customer, sorry, you no longer have a working phone, click, buzzzzzz. The easiest way to do that is to make sure Every BYOD device is unlocked. That should if I understand things correctly, solve any potential black list problem.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl
The simple reason you mention is quite right, though I doubt highly its any thing to do with blacklisted, as when its running on tmo the blacklisting would come directly from tmo and would be unlikely to allow the phone to use the network from the get go.

Upvote 0
blacklisting is a big concern, as i mentioned somewhere from what ive heard if a tmo customer stops paying for the phone they owe money on it gets blacklisted. that means he coudl sell you a phone and you activate it, then come 30ish days later you are now out hundreds of bucks for that brand new Samsung Galaxy Droid 4G LTE MAXX Touch

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones