• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Root EVO Build 3.30.651.3

All the information you need is here:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

Since you have a newer build (and I'm going to assume hboot 2.02), you cannot root with unrevoked quite yet. This is the current method:

[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02 S-OFF - Fresh Like Pine Cones Edition - Updated 12/08/10 - xda-developers

I would not recommend this method unless you actually understand every step and have some experience with similar steps. Your best bet is to wait a few days for unrevoked to update their app. You can follow them here:

unrevoked dev team (unrevoked) on Twitter

As you can see, they are currently working on an update that will root EVOs with hboot 2.02.

Upvote 0
How I rooted my 3.30.651.3 EVO Okay...so I finally got some time to put everything I did in writing...I hope it helps. Note, I have done this on two EVOs now.

Before you get started, here are the things you will need:

-D/\SH’s ROM download it from:
[HTC EVO 4G] [ROM] 12/05/10 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.2 | 3.30.651.3 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One “[All-In-One Update, INCLUDES Updated Baseband & Wimax Radios + PRI 1.77_003, Uninstallable apps]”

-Download PC36IMG.zip from: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=108Z9R8Y

-Download hboot202-20off-v3_manual.zip from: MassMirror.com - hboot202-s_off-v3_manual.zip

-Download SuperOneClick.exe from:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code)

First of all…I make no warranty here…you break it, sorry! I have used this method to root my 3.30.651.3 EVO and have had no problems since (I rooted my latest EVO on 12/1). THIS METHOD WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE, but you CAN FIX IT and end up rooted. I have bricked my EVOs several times over the past few months and have always ended up okay; make sure you have a PC36IMG.ZIP file that you can recover with. If something does go wrong and you end up with a non-working phone, then I am sorry. I am just listing what worked for me!

Please note: I am no Android genius, I am just a guy who enjoys playing with his EVO and likes the freedom being rooted provides. I took bits and pieces of multiple rooting methods until I found a way to root my 651.3 EVO. I did not come up with all of the stuff here, so I am not taking credit for anybody else’s work. I just compiled stuff that is already out there; I did not list credit to anyone, because I honestly can’t remember where I took each piece from. If you read this and see some of your work included, thank you! Please know that I am not trying to take your work, I am only trying to help other people understand your stuff and make it work for them.

-Unzip the hboot202-20off-v3_manual.zip files into a folder on your C:\ drive

-Open command in windows and navigate to the folder you saved on your drive

-Then (from windows) go into the folder named “Common” and run superoneclick.exe

-Click the root button (don’t click anything else, because it won’t work)

-From command (in the folder you unzipped hboot202-20off-v3_manual.zip) type “abd shell”

-If you see a “#” then you can move on –if you see “$” then you need to click the root button again –(If this does not work, then I don’t know what to tell you…it worked for me on the first try).

-In command, type “exit” and this should take you back to the command prompt (new line where you don’t have # on it.

-type “adb push common/unrevoked-forever.zip /sdcard/”

-type ” adb push common/mtd-eng.img /sdcard/”

-type ”adb push common/PC36IMG-root.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip”

-type ”adb push common/flash_image /data/local/

-type ”adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image”

-type ” adb shell /data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img”

-You should now have everything on your SD card that you need to flash (if you have any errors, then you did something wrong and you will need to go back and retry the step you got an error on.

-type “adb reboot bootloader”

-Your phone will now show a PC36IMG.zip file and begin to update it. If it asks you to do any updates, say yes. When it is done, allow it to reboot your phone.

-Once your phone has rebooted, go back to command prompt and:

-type ” adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG-root.zip”

-type “adb reboot recovery”

-You should end up with a red-triangle on your screen…don’t freak out!

-From the command prompt

-type “adb-windows.exe push files /”

-type “adb-windows.exe shell busybox --install /sbin”

-type “adb-windows.exe shell nohup /sbin/recovery &”

-You will then be taken to a screen that will have the option to flash a zip file, select this option and select unrevoked-forever.zip

-Once this is done, your phone will reboot

-You then want to mount your select the option on your phone to mount your SD Card

-Rename the file “PC36IMG-recovery_ra.zip” to “PC36IMG.zip” and move this to your SD card

-Reboot your phone.

-PLEASE NOTE, this is where my phone went screwy. After the PC36IMG.zip file ran, updated, and tried to reboot my phone, I only got a white EVO screen. Your phone will not boot from here, if you have the same thing that happened to me take place. What I did from here was:

-Pull the battery from your phone

-Put the battery back into the phone

-Hold the down button and power on my phone (keep holding down until the recovery console loads).

-Clear cache

-Wipe Dalvke

-Pull out the battery

-Pull out the SD Card

-Rename the D/\SH rom to PC36IMG.zip

-Copy this to your SD Card (overwrite the other PC36IMG.zip file, you no longer need this)

-Put the memory card back and battery back into the phone

-Reboot while holding down

-Flash the PC36IMG.zip file

-Reboot phone…your phone should boot up and take your through the setup

-Remount your SD Card and from windows, rename the PC36IMG.zip file to OLDPC36IMG.zip

-You should now be rooted in D/\SH’s stock rom and be loving life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones