1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help rooted OTA debacle

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mwd hand, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mwd hand

mwd hand Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    I rooted my tbolt awhile back and I got stung by the newest OTA update. By stung I mean I am a ****** and accepted it.... Try not to point and laugh... Now my phone is not a brick but it was in a boot loop and I read on here on another post that I should remove the PG05img file from my sd card and now all I can do is get to the fast boot screen....Please "fill in your name here" your my only hope!!!

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Okay don't panic. Do you have a way to get the SD card read by the computer without the use of the bolt? That way you can delete the PG05IMG.zip. Once done with that we can get you back into recovery and flashing a rom.

3. mwd hand

mwd hand Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Okay so I think I did delete the 50pmg thing already when it was in the boot loop thing I deleted it through android file manager. But of course I am not one hundred percent sure It says no image

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    So you are out of the bootloop? You need to download a rom and radio...may I suggest this rom and radio Once you get those downloaded check the MD5 sums, if they are correct then put them on the SD card.

5. mwd hand

mwd hand Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Yes i am out of the boot loop. All I can do is get to the fastboot screen with the choices of
    Bootloader
    Reboot
    Reboot Bootloader
    and Power down

I am really sorry but I want you to know that I have only dipped my toe into the rooting world. I only did it for the ability to wirelessly teather. I have not loaded any roms or any of that stuff so please take pitty and tell me how I would do what it is I need to do.

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    What we need to do is wipe all the data off the phone, and flash a rom to get you back up and running. power the phone down, then hold volume down and power to get it back on, this should get you to hboot, from there you will press volume down and to highlite recovery then press power to get into recovery, this should get you into clockwork recovery if it gets you there then you are going to be fine and this will be an easy fix.

7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    If you have not already started doing so please start downloading the rom and radio from the link I provided.

8. mwd hand

mwd hand Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    okay I have it. Now let the learning begin!!!

9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Good. So you will need to put the rom and radio onto the SD card, I would suggest putting them in a folder where you will know where they are not the root of the SD.

Once you get them on the SD put it back in the phone and boot into recovery like I described above. From there you will use the volume rocker to navigate and the home soft key to select. Start with format data/factory reset, pick yes, and allow it to format the data.
    Next choose wipe cache, pick yes, and allow it to clear all your cache,
    next go to the advanced menu and choose wipe dalvik cache, pick yes, and allow it to wipe your dalvik cache

You can choose to go into partitions menu now and choose wipe /system but you do not have to, I usually don't

Now you need to flash the rom, to do this you will choose "apply update from SD" then "choose zip from SD" navigate to the folder where you stored the rom and choose to flash it, once it is done you need to reboot,

You will not have any signal once the phone boots up and it will take a little longer than normal to boot because this is the first boot after a rom install.

10. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Once you have booted up, you can skip google sign in, you need to go to the file manager application and rename the radio exactly "PG05IMG.zip" and move it to the root of your SD card. From here you then need to power the phone off. Power back on again holding volume down and this will get you into hboot, it should scan the SD card and ask if you want to install the update to press volume up, do so and it will install for you, once it is done it will prompt you to press power to reboot, again do so and it will reboot, this time you will have signal and your phone will be ready to use again :)

11. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    MDW, did you get it up and running yet?

12. mwd hand

mwd hand Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    I got it up and running. After I deleted the 50pmg thing i was able to get the phone to work. Thank you sooooo much for the help.... I did not download the new image though. I thought I had but all I grabbed was the zip file program that infected my computer with some spyware but I took it off no problem. I saw the two links at the bottom of that link and tried to download them after the zip incedent but for some reason my computer is blocking the download. Is there any reason to do the new rom now that my phone is back up and running? And sorry for the gap in response I got called in to work..

13. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    one big reason,IMO... so this doesnt happen again. if you try and stay on mr1(firmware1.13.605.7) it is going to try and constantly update you to mr2(1.70.605.0). it could very well sneek in another auto update and put you back in this same situation. :eek:

further,mr2 has fixed the reboot issues alot were having,and also made some enhancements for faster gps lock,and better data connection. its well worth the upgrade,IMO. what fun is it to stick on one software as updates are made? the rom and radios yeahha have sugested are simply the most current,rooted software.

if all you really cared about is the ability to wifi tether,are you still doing that? returning to stock is always another option if the root experience is more of a nuisance than a hobby. most of us here are always twiddling and tweeking,so staying tuned to the updates and downloading/flashing them to prevent what just happened to you are no big deal. if you dont enjoy it in a similar manner,it may be easier and safer to enjoy your stock phone and let OTAs happen naturally. nothing wrong with that at all :)