1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help rooting phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tommer2, Aug 6, 2012.

1. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

Thanks for your help on here!! Great write up. I"m stuck on the rooting part. I installed the clockwork mod recovery. I got the screen that said it was installed. You then say to do a nandroid backup. You say "The CWM is now on your phone" Should I be able to see it somewhere? Ok let's go on to the rooting part. When I put it into bootloader mode and highlight recovery I hit the power button and the white HTC screen comes on and just sits there!!! I know how to flash I just don't see it in this situation. Can you help me? Thanks in advance. Thom

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

Try re-flashing the recovery.img. If you can tell me what it says at the cmd prompt after you type:
    Code (Text):
    1. fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-ville.img
    it may help if that is the issue.

I am working on instructions for TWRP 2 recovery to add in as well. So if you want to try flashing that, it would also work. EDIT: Here is the post (http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-things-root/543328-how-unlock-bootloader-install-recovery-root-your-htc-one-s.html#post4777154)

3. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

Hi Again, I reflashed both. Still stuck on the white HTC screen after hitting recovery. here is what the prompt said both. C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-
    2.2.1-ville.img
    sending 'recovery' (7840 KB)...
    OKAY [ 1.732s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 2.215s]
    finished. total time: 3.947s

4. agentc13

Okay, reboot the device, then in the cmd prompt type
    Code (Text):
    1. adb reboot recovery
    Will it boot into recovery that way?

5. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

ok after rebooting device do I power it down and go back into recovery and then type in command? It keeps saying device not found. I'm doing something wrong! Thanks for your time!!!!

6. agentc13

Hold the power down until it shuts off (10-15 seconds). Then boot the phone normally and enter that command. It should boot into the recovery.

7. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

before I do that do I enter the command on the Andriod file page where we put everything else fastboot ect.?

8. agentc13

You would enter the command into the prompt where you entered the other commands after the phone boots normally.

9. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

goes right back to the white HTC screen. This is what it says C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb reboot recovery
    error: device not found By the way my phone will not shut down by holding 10-20 seconds. I have to power it down by closing it with the power down button. Would that make a difference? Thanks again. Thom

10. agentc13

But you can get it to reboot normally after you shut it down?

I'm not sure what is happening, when you boot to the bootloader and select fastboot. If you type "fastboot devices" what does it say?

11. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

his is what it says C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>"fastboot devices"
    '"fastboot devices"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

12. agentc13

When this happens your phone is in bootloader mode and it should say fastboot USB highlighted (in pink, I think). Is that correct?

13. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

14. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

I even tried that command adb reboot recovery again. it went right to the white screen with the green HTC. Then it's just stuck on that until I take the battery out and then it boots normally. WOW!!! Frustrating!!!!

15. agentc13

Wait, you took the battery out? You are talking about a HTC One S right, you can't remove the battery? Are you talking about another phone or am I just confused? (Either is entirely possible, it's getting late here).

tommer2 and scotty85 like this.
  16. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

Oh Man!!!! Here it comes..... I have a T-mobile sensation!!!! Hope I didn't mess it up. See what happens when you try to help a noob!! LOL!!

17. agentc13

Okay, you should be able to flash a recovery for that device (although I don't know for sure). I don't know any specifics, but I will move this thread to that area (HTC Sensation correct?) and see if we can get you sorted.

tommer2 and scotty85 like this.
  18. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

Thanks!! I'll just keep watching this page, OK?

scotty85 likes this.
  19. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

tommer2,

Type the "fastboot devices" command without the quotation marks (that's why you are getting the above error message, i.e.:

Also, I'm guessing that your device isn't responding to being launched into the custom recovery you flashed because its for the HTC One S instead of one for your Sensation (and the kernal that the recovery (for/from the One S) uses would not match that needed for your device).

The recoveries for your device I believe should have the word "pyramid" in them instead of "ville".

I'll let the Sensation root experts weigh-in on your next steps, though, since I'm not familiar with your specific device.

Good luck!

tommer2, agentc13 and scotty85 like this.
  20. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

hi tommer2,hopefully you havent damaged the file system of your phone beyond repair by flashing the recovery for a completely different model. if im understanding correctly,your phone still boots,wich is a good sign :)

you can use this recovery for sensation:
    PG58IMGcw5.0.2.0.zip
    md5: PG58IMGcw5.0.2.0.zip 9e4b4858f75231d0ff45a45acaeb7ac7

it is a PG58IMG file,so you can rename it to only "PG58IMG" (no quotes),place it on your sd card, and let hboot flash it for you,or you can extract it,and place the image in your adb/fastboot folder and flash it they way you have been flashing the other,fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

make sure to remove the old recovery image first,and let this experience teach you a valuable lesson of being extremely cautious what you flash to an unlocked/s-off phone.

as you have learned,your bootloader is not doing any security checks,and it will happily flash anything you tell it to. you are prolly fine and will suffer no irrepairable damage,but if you had flashed a bootloader or radio from another device to your sensation,it would be a different story :eek:

in the future,make sure you always:
    1)ensure youre flashing an image or file for htc sensation,and not for other models
    2)double check the md5 to ensure you have a good download.

also feel free to post up any further questions you have in the sensation 4g forum: http://androidforums.com/sensation-4g-all-things-root/
    or the sensation forum:
    http://androidforums.com/sensation-all-things-root/
    depending wether your t mo sensation is a us version,or a different regional branded one. :)

tommer2, scary alien and agentc13 like this.
  21. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

I got it guys!!!!!!! I just want to take a minute to thank ALL you guys that helped. There are some bright guys and gals on here!! Without you there are a lot of us who would screw up a lot of things!!!! A special thanks to agentc13 for all his help!! Scary Alien chimed in and to Scotty85 who so quickly had the solution!!! You guys ROCK!!! All is good!!!

agentc13, scotty85 and scary alien like this.
  22. scotty85

awsome! glad your phone has suffered no ill affects and is back to working order :D

agentc13 likes this.
  23. tommer2

tommer2 Newbie

Hi Scotty, Maybe you can help me again? Man I have searched and searched on so many threads for help and I can't find what I need I guess. Here's the deal. I flashed Android Revolution HD 6.7.2 on my T-mobile Sensation 4G. It was suppose to make it an XE with beats audio and 1.5GHz.Everything is nice but I have no WI-FI and it didn't bump it up to the 1.5GHz. I've been reading that with the HTC Dev unlock that these types of roms have trouble because there are some things that are still locked. Like the stock kerrnel. I think that's why my WI-FI doesn't work. I've read about using the Ruu file with the stock rom and I have tried to use it but it just aborts. I did 1. backup 2. wipe factory data 3. wiped Dilvik 4. ran this from SD card. RUU_PYRAMID_ICS_TMOUS_3.32.531.14. It aborted!! I just want to get this back to my stock rooted rom. Can you help?? Thanks, Thom :thinking:

24. agentc13

Since the original issue was resolved, I moved this to the Sensation 4g ATR.

scotty85 and tommer2 like this.
  25. scotty85

you had no wifi becasue of mismatched modules,and no OC as a result of the same thing that casued your module mismatch: you flashed the rom without installing the kernel.

htcdev is a PITA. if you wish to keep it,and not go s-off,you will have to learn how to flash roms properly to install the kernel.

this is for the rezound,but it all applies: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/587430-s-want-flash-roms-read.html

in order to get back to your stock rom youll need to either:
    1)launch recovery from fastboot(link will explain) and restore a backup
    or
    2)relock to run the ruu you want to run. afterware youll need to re-unlock(use your original unlock_code.bin),and resinstall recovery,then reflash the superuser root files. :)

alternately,you can launch recovery from fastboot,and then reflash your rom. as long as you launch recovery into memory,rather than booting to a permantly installed recovery,the kernel will install and everything should work.

id strongly consider to become s-off,it will make your life a bunch easier.

just holler if you have questions after reading thru that link :)

edit:

almost forgot,the ruu you tried to flash in recovery aborted the install,becasue it is not a file that is installed by recovery. it is either flashed in hboot,or run on your pc with the phone plugged in,depending on wether the file extension is ".zip" or ".exe"

scary alien likes this.

HTC Sensation 4G Forum

The HTC Sensation 4G release date was 8th June. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

8th June
Release Date
Reviews