• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ROOTING s4 active SGH-I537 running 5.0

bowner08

Lurker
May 31, 2011
Hey guys,
was trying to figure out a way to root my old s4 active to send to Europe to my grandpa, it is factory unlocked but the phone is in English and from what i've read from several google searches is that i need to root the phone in order to change the language. so i have been sitting here for about 4 hours trying different methods rooting the phone but nothing seems to work.

options i have tried include using odin but i get an error right from the beginning
then i tried ActiveRoot but then realized that it only sems works for kitkat. Also have tried towelroot but it just says that my phone is not supported and after doing a quick search i found that i need to change modstrings which i did with 3 different ones that where listed on the site and i still got the message saying that phone is not supported. Then i tried activeroot and it just told me to email the developer of the app if i am using an active phone, i did that but i did not get an answer.

I work as an IT tech and i'm pretty tech savvy when it comes to any other electronics but i do not have much experience with phones. if anyone could please help me i would greatly appreciate it, my family in Europe does not have very much money and i'm just trying to help them out.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones