• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP !! S3 Keeps freezing, unresponsive.

Hi
my s3 keeps freezing. the screen basically just freezes while i'm doing something. and the device stops responding to anything.
cant lock it. cant do anything. it doesnt even autolock , the screen just stays on with whatever i was working on.
the only solution is to wait for it(about 20 minutes) and it will get back to whatever it was doing earlier. or hold the power button and it will reboot.
when i checked my router, i can see that it is still connected. so wifi is working. when i call my number from another phone, it rings but the S3 does absolutely nothing. and after it starts working again, i dont see any missed calls. so anyone who calls me while its "Freezing" will get ignored. i wont even know !!!
its not related to any app or function.
i updated my s3 to 4.1.2 using odin a month ago. it was running smoothly. a week ago it started freezing for moments every day or two. now i cant get through 10 minutes of using the device without it freezing for 20 or 30 minutes. then the screen is turned and it goes back to normal. and freezes after 10 minutes even if i dont use it. i've noticed that using WiFi speeds up the freezing. When Wifi is On, it takes about 30s - 3 minutes for it to freeze. I did a Factory reset, it worked for about an hour after the reset , and started freezing again.
after researching online.. many people had the same issue. some say its the stock android browser(but i dont use the browser), some said its a glitch in WiFi power saving mode(Disabled it, nothing changed), some said its a problem with the battery(i'm gonna trade batteries with my friend and see what happens).
I'm Freaking OUT !!! ... the device is Very Unstable and i use it on daily basis, i cant live without it. i dont know what to do. i've almost tried everything.
and i've paid alot of money for it
i dont know what to do next. probably gonna flash it back to 4.1.1
i Hope to hear any idead from you. or from anyone who had this issue with his device.
SERIOUSLY , i really need HELP !!
thanks in advance

Hi I was wondering if there was any solution to this in the end. I have got pretty much the exact same problem. To reiterate:

Symptoms/Observations
1) Phone freezes within approx 1-10 minutes of use.
2) If i leave it for about 10-15mins it will unfreeze and then continue normally. During the freeze the screen stays on but nothing else responds. Only way to reset is to hold power down.
3) Occurs more frequently the more programs apps i load on. BUT it also froze when I had nothing installed other than stock firmware. I didnt even sync with my google account or samsung account. However it only froze once in about 1 days use in this mode. Admittedly didnt use it as much since there wasnt anything loaded. It froze on two occasions in this mode (a) when i first tried to sync with my google account. the freeze occur just after i logged in but still hadnt gotten the confirmation page that said the login was successful. (b) after the first login and going to the play store and looking for the first app.
4) Before this all started I was on Polish 4.1.2 official. It never froze but the first time i noticed something wrong was that the phone would switch itself off for no reason. I decided that I couldnt have my phone shutting itself of without any warning so I reflashed australian stock 4.1.2 as it had just come out. The freezing issues started then.

Things I have tried
1) Complete reset to factory. This is done by holding power+home+volume up and selecting the wipe function.
2) Odin on stock Australian 4.1.2 no carrier (ie not the voda/telstra ones)
3) Odin on stock Australian 4.1.1 then upgrade to 4.1.2 (freezes in both)
4) Odin on stock French 4.1.1 (current one and still freezes)

Any more things i should test or try. I have a gut feeling that it might be related to faulty ram sectors. Cant find a program to test that though. Idea is that when more apps are loaded into the background the probability of hitting the bad ram increases and causes the phone to freeze. Would love to get this fixed. Anyone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones