1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help S3 stuck in Talk back mode

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Terry51, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Terry51

Terry51 Member

HELP...I was mucking about with my phone last night after updating to JB 4.1.2 I switched the Talk back function on to try it out, big mistake because now I can't turn the bloody thing off, and it keeps talking, telling me every thing on the screen, the phone has somehow got stuck in this mode. The screen is now very lagy, taking sevarel presses to do anything and I can't get any further then "display" in settings to ether try and turn Talk back off or to reset the phone. I tried doing an emergency FW install via Kies by holding the power button with the home and volume key, but this did not work. Is there any way of ether resetting the phone without going through the setting menu or resetting to factory (out of the box) settings????

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Have you done a battery pull yet?

3. sleeco

sleeco Well-Known Member

Turn off then keep pressing the power button for about 25/30 seconds

4. Terry51

Terry51 Member

Hey guys, thanks for the help but i fixed it now. Held down the power & home key and volume ( I think) anyway, this brought up a list of boot up options among which was restore to factory settings, or something like that, anyway it worked. My phone is now up and running again. I wont be doing that again, I hope..:D

5. capilot

capilot Lurker

I spent hours pulling out my hair trying to even just logon to my Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet after I accidentally activated the "Talk Back" feature, but to no avail.

I tried Samsung chat. I was told to do a HARD RESET by turning off the machine, holding down the UP volume button and then also holding down the power button. I was instructed that when the tablet restarted to still keep holding down the UP volume button and let go of the power button. Although that (after several attempts) finally did bring me to the HARD RESET - RESTORE to FACTORY SETTINGS - IT DOES NOT RESET the "Talk Back". I was told my Jason at Samsung Tech Support that indeed, even a HARD RESET DOES NOT reset "Talk Back".

After doing tons of Google and Bing searches, I finally found that you HAVE to use TWO fingers AND DOUBLE Tap (sometimes over and over again) to get it to respond.

This (stupid, annoying as heck) "Talk Back" feature is SUPPOSED to help BLIND people. I don't know how that would work when sighted people who can see where to touch can't even get their "Touch Screen" to accept inputs.

It sighted people are ready to throw the thing out the window, I can only slightly imagine how much more frustrating the (Damn) thing is for blind people.

It needs to be REMOVED and IMPROVED or FIXED so that it would actually HELP blind people rather than frustrate them more.

I started computer science 39 years ago. I have designed and built many computers, including a Dual Core, a Quad Core and last year an EIGHT Core PC, YET, I still couldn't figure out or get this disgusting "Talk Back" to let me even logon to my tablet.

It is the most disgusting item OEM (original equipment manufacturer) item/product/service that I have ever seen. It is just about as bad as a virus, Trojan or worm.

6. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Android Enthusiast

When you activate Talk back you are immediately put into the tutorial to tell you how to use it. Five minutes of the tutorial and you will know that single taps highlight icons and buttons and double taps activate the icons and buttons. To scroll through menus requires the use of two fingers at the same time. So there is no need to carry out a factory reset just to turn off the Talk back feature. Just go to Accessibility as you normally would but remember to use double tap in place of single taps and scroll with two finger instead of the normal one fingered approach. How difficult is that?

funkylogik likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews