• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP - S8 Notifications Keep Muting

I have searched everywhere for a fix for this so I hope someone can help.
My S8 keeps self muting my notifications, this is not that I turn them down, no, I have to check to see if they have muted themselves again. I can turn them back on but I never know if they will stay that way.

I have seen "fixes" that require putting the phone in developer mode and clearing caches, but so far nothing sticks. The really annoying thing is there are posts on various forums dating back to 2014!

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? I just want to be able to know that if I get a text message I will hear a notification.

Just a guess, but I'd make sure you don't have something set up in your "do not disturb" rules that automatically mutes notifications. That can include timed rules (silence at night) but it can also be set to silence your phone during any calendar alert. If a setting like that has been turned on by accident the phone could restrict notifications at unexpected times, possibly including entire days (if you have all day events in your calendar). My phone (different model) has such rules by default, but not turned on, so it might be worth checking yours.

Reactions: Erinyes
Upvote 0
Just a guess, but I'd make sure you don't have something set up in your 'do not disturb' rules that automatically mutes notifications. That can include timed rules (silence at night) but it can also be set to silence your phone during any calendar alert. If a setting like that has been turned on by accident the phone could restrict notifications at unexpected times, possibly including entire days (if you have all day events in your calendar). My phone (different model) has such rules by default, but not turned on, so it might be worth checking yours.

The good news is I have checked my settings for DND & I have not accidentally checked anything I didn't mean to or that I think would cause my notifications to mute indefinitely... The bad news is well... You know...

Upvote 0
I have searched everywhere for a fix for this so I hope someone can help.
My S8 keeps self muting my notifications, this is not that I turn them down, no, I have to check to see if they have muted themselves again. I can turn them back on but I never know if they will stay that way.

I have seen 'fixes' that require putting the phone in developer mode and clearing caches, but so far nothing sticks. The really annoying thing is there are posts on various forums dating back to 2014!

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? I just want to be able to know that if I get a text message I will hear a notification.

Just curious, but is anyone else experiencing similar notification muting?

Upvote 0
I had this for some time and I have now resolved this and am frantically trying to remember how!.
I spent weeks on this trying everything and then bingo one of the ways sorted. it out.
As I do not have this situation present bear with me - If you look at the messages that do not emit a notification there will be a Bell with a strike through line, I seem to recollect that there was an option there to change it, try that and come back, my memory might have improved by then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones