1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help selecting an Android for UTMS 850MHz band

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Adolfoe, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Adolfoe

Adolfoe Lurker

I want to buy an Android Phone that works on Costa Rica.

Requeriments:
    UTMS 850MHz (3G)
    GSM 1800MHz
    Wi-Fi
    Querty Keyboard (not necessarily physical)
    voIP (I want to connecto to the internal server of the place where I work)

I would like a good cellphone that can compete with an iPhone 4G in capabilities. Thanks

The only provider of services in Costa Rica is the ICE (Costarrican Institute of Electricity). So I would need a model who is not blocked or that could be easily unblocked.

Sorry for my bad English
    Thanks.

Advertisement

2. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

MOST Motorola phone operate on both of those bands so you'd have full 3G I just got a defy, it's a nice phone, mid level. but the Atrix out in March will be a beast and more than meet your needs.
    From the Moto website:
    MULTIPLE NETWORKS

WCDMA 850/1900/2100, GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA 14Mbps (Category 10) Edge Class 12, GPRS Class 12, eCompass, AGPS

Getting the SIM unlocked is a whole other affair, good luck with that part.

3. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert

You probably need something unlocked or generic.

Try the Samsung Galaxy S i9000T. Note the T, which represents Telstra (Australia) and Latin America. This version is specific to Latin America and the ROM itself is marked that way. This model is often sold in unlocked form but you need to verify the samples as there maybe carrier specific versions around.

Unlocked it will work on AT&T 3G as well. Its not the same as the AT&T Samsung Captivate. But a Captivate that is already unlocked can also do the purpose you seek.

4. Adolfoe

Adolfoe Lurker