1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Help Setting Up without 3G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thetitan72, Nov 13, 2008.

1. thetitan72

thetitan72 New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Hi,

Here's my situation, hopefully someone can help me out:

I just got the G1 phone as a gift BUT where I live there's no 3G. I personally dont care for that since I just want to have it just working as a phone while I have the 3G available in my area (expected to be in january).

I have the regular internet data plan from T Mobile, but when I take the first step to start up the G1 (putting the google account info), it displays the "There is a problem communicating with the Google servers" message

Is there a way I can "communicate" with the google server to register or a way to skip that?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2008
    SharePoint Architect
    St. Louis, MO
    I think you have to just keep trying. Also, you could call T-Mobile's support line and they can troubleshoot it.

3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA
    you can also go into settings "wireless controls"|"Mobile Networks" and select "Use only 2G networks" this will save battery power and should also force the phone to use "Edge" or "GPRS" for data

4. thetitan72

thetitan72 New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks,
    but how can I get to setttings when I can'y even pass thru the google registration?

5. devolio

devolio Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Developer
    Michigan
    If you've got your sim in the phone, and have sevice, it shouldn't have any problem. If you're still having problems, I'd contact t-mo and tell them about your issue.

6. superfluid

superfluid Member

Nov 13, 2008
    I had the same problem. Had to call TMo support and they make sure the SIM is 'provisioned'. Still took over 24 hours for the phone to be able to connect after the provisioning.

Tags: