• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help Sideloading Apps

Try this:

Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

I never use HTC sync. But the Sideload Wonder Machine works great.

Remember you must have debugging enabled. Settings, Applications, Development, Check USB Debugging.

i put swype on my machine after i rooted it and enabled 3rd party apps via a cmd adb code. i want to do more on the phone so i rooted.

BUT this link above worked great for putting swype on my wife's non-rooted aria

Upvote 0
Hi I am also interested in side loading Apps.

I have not tried the Side Load Wonder Machine (yet), but also noted that on 16 May ATT announced that they would push an OTA update to select Android phone models (including the HTC Aria) which would allow sideloading of apps. If this is so perhaps the SLWM would be unnecessary. . .

I think this has been mentioned in the forums already. . .and I am assuming that this update would change the menu options in Settings/Applications from the original three (Manage Apps/Running Services/Development) to a new menu under Settings/Applications with four options (Unknown Sources/Manage Apps/Running Services/Development). I have no new menu options --and called ATT and asked on 26 May about it. The Tech Support told me to wait 24 hours and I would have it and today (still nothing), so I again called and they were unsure and finally emailed a response which states basically that there is not such an update. Here is a part of the ATT email reply:
"2. Hey, from what I can see, the only upgrade for the Aria was version 2.2
(according to HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Aria? (AT&T) - Downloads), when or if
another update will be available, I seriously dont know. I do apologize for the
inconvenience. Also, the over the air updates, that is all directly through the
android networks and not through ATT, due to the fact that we don't have any
control over the operating system or how it is provided to customers. If there was
an update available tirelessly, you should see that option in the settings on your
phone. If you have further questions about your AT&T business needs, please
refer to AT&T or by calling us at (800) 331-0500."

SO... my question is -- has anyone actually gotten the OTA update on the HTC Aria that allows side loading of apps from other sources? Also -aside from the ATT press release on 16 May is there any other authoritative reporting on this change that I can use to get my Aria updated by ATT (or HTC?)

Thank you in advance!

Mark

Upvote 0
My follow-up on the sideloading OTA update --another call to ATT tech support finally produced success. They pushed it directly to my phone (actually first they seemed to push a "welcome to ATT" start up something to the phone --but when I confirmed that it did not work, the tech finally pushed the correct update and it worked after rebooting twice.. . . The ATT tech help was not very knowledgeable, but when I read some of the posts about the topic (for another platform not the Aria), and quoted one of the posters "They use a system push and update your phone via the IMEI and telephone # with a system called XDM " the XDM caught the attention of the tech. He mentioned he had it, but did not have permissions to use it and needed to xfer me to a tech who could use that program. The tech who came on the line was knowledeable and did understand what I wanted and within 5 minutes of her getting on the line, I was updated and had the "unknown sources" option added to my applications menu in settings! IT WORKED!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones