• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help solving an annoying issue when sending SMS

hoppi05

Lurker
Mar 31, 2010
Hi all, i have recently upgraded from the Hero to the Desire and i am very impressed with it superb phone but i need help with resolving a small and rather annoying issue....

When sending an SMS you type your msg and click on the little human icon in the top right corner to view your contacts well my Desire is showing my phone, sim, google and Facebook contacts! all i want to see there is my phone contacts there is no option to change the view? and when you click <Groups> it shows <Device Contacts> but shows no contacts although i have lots on my device?

is this a known issue or have i got settings wrong?

so far i have had to unsync my FB which i really dont want to do because its great having peoples pictures alongside there numbers and when they ring...

I have set my phone to only show my phone contacts (in the 'People' settings) not my google or my SIM or my FB!

still after all the above i now get my duplicates because the phone still shows my phone and SIM contacts WAY lol?

I cannot delete my SIM contacts as i need them on there! surely this is a bug of some sorts? because i have checked every setting i can find to stop it....

you would have thought there would have been an option in menu to let the end user select which contacts to view? i only want to view phone contacts and the only was it to do this it seems is to disable some of the very good features this phone has....

Can anyone help please

cheers

Sypher cheers for the reply i have spoke to HTC and they say its a known issue which should be getting fixed in a patch???

when you say you can customise things where is that option? as the only option within SMS i can see is to set ppl up into groups like office and friends and things? the main options in 'People' which allows you to unselect phone, sim, google and facebook or vice verser does not work in conjunction with the SMS app? or have i missed an option somewhere

Well i have flattened the phone since earlier and i have tried Handcent and this also suffers from the same issue?? it still shows SIM and Phone contacts even tho i have SIM unselected in the 'People' form options? and i do not want to sign back into my facebook because if it sync's that up again ill scream lol the only option i have selected is to view phone contacts and i still see sim contacts in SMS in the People app it works i only see Phone contacts and not SIM but this does not happen in the SMS address box?

any further help would be appreciated...

ps sorry for rattling on.....

Upvote 0
Hey,
Hoppie05 I am so glad I found your post. You are describing my problem exactly - though I am using a HTC Wildfire.

It's been almost 2 month since your question and I think t eHTC patch will take some time still. Does anyone know of a possible solution now? I don't mind paying for third party SMS app if that will solve the issue....

/Aerosign

Upvote 0
hey there, i did not get a proper fix for this what i did was reinstall the rom i was using and then never sync'd my facebook up again lol. using handcent sms did not help that also showed the same contacts....

i think someone above stated to sync you contacts to google and just use those could work that is what i have done ever since and its been fine although i have never sync'd FB up again and do not want to risk it ;)

hopefully this will be resolved in 2.2 ut in the versions i have tried this still happens!

:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones