1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help! system apps starting to disappear

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by artlsx10, Sep 23, 2011.

1. artlsx10

artlsx10 Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    Not sure if this is the right forum.

I have a droid inc2 stock NOT rooted. Yesterday I was using my preloaded flashlight app and it disapeared off the phone. Today I was uninstalling apps and my settings dissapeared. I have a shortcut to my settings and when I click it, it says app no longer installed. I tried restarting, removing the battery, not that I expected it to work but worth a try. I would do a factory reset but how do I do that when I have no access to my settings?

What's going on? How can I fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Hello! First of all, welcome to the forums! That if a crazy problem you are having. You shouldn't be able to delete the settings even if you tried, especially without being rooted. Maybe the good people in the Inc2 forum can help you out.

HTC Droid Incredible 2 - Android Forums

Good luck!

3. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Can you still get to your settings via Menu/Settings? Or via the app drawer? A bad shortcut on the home screen is easily deleted and replaced, if that's all it is. (Edited to add: Oh wait, is the shortcut you're referring to on the Rosie bar or something? I no longer really remember how things were in Sense, especially first thing in the morning...).

Regarding the flashlight, same question - is the app really gone, or did you just accidentally delete the icon from your home screen? Is it still in your app drawer?

4. artlsx10

artlsx10 Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    I couldn't access either app anyway I tried. If I clicked menu then settings, I would get the message app no longer installed. They were not listed on the main app list either.

Anyway, I found my answer with a quick Google search. Here it is if anyone ever needs to do this...

With the phone on, remove the battery.
    Hold the volume down button while pushing the power on button.
    A system screen will come up. You'll have a few options. Using the volume buttons, scroll up or down. Select factory reset. Press the power button to make your selection.

You're supposed to be able to do this by simply power down then power up while holding the volume down button. It did not work for me until I did the battery hard restart.

Make sure you replace the back cover before starting. When it reboots, it will go to software update and give you an error due to no signal, I had to start again.

The things you Lear through necessity. Thanks for looking and for your help.

bberryhill0 likes this.
  5. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Android Expert
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    Male
    Oyster shucker blacks oyster bar
    Dirty South, Louisiana
    I wish about 19 system apps would start to disappear on my Incredible 2... o_0

6. picord

picord Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Male
    Automotive Wholesale Parts Purchaser
    Northern Ca. Bay Area
    time to Root...