• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help to pick a smartphone please :)

Rate4d

Lurker
Apr 26, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm planning to travel a lot, actually around the world hitchhiking.Since now I thought I'd take my netbook I recently bought, but after reading a blogpost of another traveler I started to think again:why do I need a netbook ? And I came with conclusion that I don't need it so often, and if needed I would use it for internet, maps, to view pictures or smth.

A netbook: ~5hrs of battery life, size of a4 papersheet and ~1,2kg of weight, do I really need that.So I thought wouldn't a smartphone be better for it ?
And yes I was right.The problem is that I hadn't a smartphone before and don't really know which are better so I'd be very very happy if someone of you who knows the deal would reccomend one for me.

My requirements:

* wi-fi ( I guess it's by default for most of them)

* Proper browser of course

* Long battery life ( I guess smaller screen would contribute to that, but I would't like anything less than 240x320)

* Cheap (I don't have any desire to pay much money, I guess it's smart to buy a used smartphone(? I'm not sure) and older model.I don't care much about how fancy and popular it is, I need it to work properly.To clarify I have $350 us dollars at most, but I prefer spending as little as possible for the best phone.)

That's the most important criteria, also I'd like to have the ability to use maps, it would also be nice to have qwerty keyboard.

That's pretty much it, I'm looking forward to hear your offers,
Regards,
Thomas

I can't offer a specific phone recommendation (it'll be helpful for us to know what carrier you have, and if you don't have one, what you'd be looking for in a carrier) but I will say that any modern smartphone can do all of those things you listed.

Well... except cheap. But with an upgrade all of them will be under $300 (and most new ones $150-$200), and if you keep an eye out you can probably find some really good ones for around fifty bucks new with a contract extension.

Upvote 0
it'll be helpful for us to know what carrier you have, and if you don't have one, what you'd be looking for in a carrier
I don't have a carrier yet.I live in Lithuania so there aren't any big brands like tmobile or AT&T.I think I would not be able to sign any contracts because I don't live in the area where service is provided nor I have a job to buy something on a installment plan.

Droid 2 sounds right up your ally
Thanks, I will check it out
Can't say for sure as I have no experience of other devices, but my HTC Desire ticks all your boxes.
Thanks, I especially appreciate personal experence because sometimes it contradicts with what manufacturers are saying
Virtually any Android phone should satisfy your criteria.

Just make a search for phones within your budget, and make sure of 2 things:
1) Software must be at least v2.2
2) Display resolution must be at least HVGA 320x480
Thanks man, I wouldn't even thought about it as I don't know much about that software yet.Btw is there a major differece between versions?

Upvote 0
Btw is there a major differece between versions?
There is certainly a major difference between v2.1 and v2.2 (not so much from v2.2 to v2.3). For example, v2.2 allows you to move most of the applications to SD card, gives you browser flash support with high-end phones, brings performance improvements, Wifi Hotspot feature, etc.

Reactions: Rate4d
Upvote 0
There is certainly a major difference between v2.1 and v2.2 (not so much from v2.2 to v2.3). For example, v2.2 allows you to move most of the applications to SD card, gives you browser flash support with high-end phones, brings performance improvements, Wifi Hotspot feature, etc.
Yeah, i see there really are some major improvements :) btw guys what do you think about symbian os ? :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, i see there really are some major improvements :) btw guys what do you think about symbian os ? :)
What's to talk about an OS that is dying? ;)
Nokia should have stopped investing in it in 2009. The failure of Nokia's flagship device N97, the acceleration of iphone and Android, and other manufacturers abandoning the Symbian OS (Samsung, SE) were clear indicators then. Unfortunately, Nokia's management was deaf, ignorant and afraid to take actions. Now they are paying the price of their late decision to swap Symbian for WP7 by 1/3rd drop in share price.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones