1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help to understand the Android App Market.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by davidroccato, Apr 12, 2012.

1. davidroccato

davidroccato Lurker

Hi,

I need some help to understand how the Android app market works.

I don't have an Android device but I have a blog where I write on different OS, iOS, Android, Windows and Symbian.

I talk about photography and videography only. And I'm interested in only those apps.

I need to understand few things if you can help me, please. So I can offer a better service to my readers.

1) Is there the in-app purchase on the most of the Android apps? When I see the apps on google play, I never see anything about other costs. How can I check if is there an in-app purchase for an app on the web only?

2) How do the redeem codes or promo codes work? Can I ask to a developer a promo code to give to my readers to test the app? What should I ask exactly?

3) Is there a Web App where I can check every day the apps that go free, on photography only?

Thank you very much, I hope you can help me to well understand this market.
    :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Hi David,

In-app billing work mostly for US-only if I recall correctly. To tell if an app uses in-app billing you can look at the permissions. If there is a permission with the word BILLING in it, then that app has in-app billing.

Redeem/promo codes would have to be worked out on a case by case basis with each developer or publisher you want to work with.

As for Market tracking app, AppBrain.com is a good website for that. I'm not sure it would let you see only photography apps, but you could search for them easily enough.

3. davidroccato

davidroccato Lurker

Thank you for your answers. I've just bookmarked AppBrain.com for now and I'll check it better this weekend. And I'll start to check the permissions for eventually some in-app purchase.

How the promo codes work in any case? It can be a silly question but I prefer to ask to be sure. Do you insert a key directly from the telephone or do you do it from the desktop and sync on the telephone later?
    :)

4. alostpacket

No problem, and welcome to the forums!

There's no promo code system really, so any type of promotion would be a custom built by each developer/publisher.

Games often use custom promo code systems they built for promotion of in-game content.

e.g. if you use my referral code, then I get a magical sword of +5 awesomeness :D (just an example).

5. davidroccato

davidroccato Lurker

oh! It sounds a bit complicated or am I wrong? So the promo code depends on the country or on the device type? Or it's just for the app type and version and if I get one from a developer, I can just give it to first that want to write the review for it?

Thanks for the welcome :)

6. alostpacket

It all depends on the dev. All the code for any type of promo has to be written from scratch. So unless they already have a solution they coded, you likely wont find many devs willing to write promotions for you. It's a lot of work. Some may have a system in place though, you basically just have to ask each one.

7. davidroccato

davidroccato Lurker

ok, I understand that, thank you. It's easier if they pay the cost with paypal then! :O

Last question if you don't mind. Is google play the only market for the apps? Reading around, sometimes I ended up to Androidzoom or even another one that I don't remember, if I'm not wrong. But I haven't checked if all the apps are inside google play.

8. alostpacket

There are many Android Markets out there. Amazon, GetJar, SlideMe, just to name a few :)

9. davidroccato

davidroccato Lurker

oh! The most of the time I end up talking about apps that show on google play market so I thought it was the only one or sort of. Thanks in any case. :)