• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP - tried to update, now not rooted, all sorts of other problems

sbollag

Lurker
Mar 20, 2011
Hello,

I am having some serious issues with my Evo. For several weeks now my Gmail accounts have not been syncing at all, incredibly frustrating, to say the least. I was hoping that the Gingerbread update would take care of this, so I followed all the instructions I could find, downloaded the de-odexed zip update, booted into recovery, wiped davlik, then installed that zip, and it seems to have updated (I'm running 2.3.3 now, that's the updated version, right?). However, not only has that not solved my syncing issue, but now when I went into Titanium Backup, it said that it could not establish root access! Also, when I go into ROM Manager and try to "Manage and Restore Backups," nothing comes up, when I know there are 3 backups on there (I was trying to delete one of them to free up space on my SD card).

Maybe related are the terrible space issues I've been having. It's also for some time now been telling me that I'm running low on space, but I have moved virtually all of the big programs to the SD card and deleted things I do not use, so I really don't understand how it's having such space issues.

Anyway, I really need some help here. I guess the number one most important thing I need to figure out is why I am no longer rooted. Can I just reroot like I did in the first place? But I'm also very bothered by this syncing problem, and the space issue is not far behind.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I am having some serious issues with my Evo. For several weeks now my Gmail accounts have not been syncing at all, incredibly frustrating, to say the least. I was hoping that the Gingerbread update would take care of this, so I followed all the instructions I could find, downloaded the de-odexed zip update, booted into recovery, wiped davlik, then installed that zip, and it seems to have updated (I'm running 2.3.3 now, that's the updated version, right?). However, not only has that not solved my syncing issue, but now when I went into Titanium Backup, it said that it could not establish root access! Also, when I go into ROM Manager and try to "Manage and Restore Backups," nothing comes up, when I know there are 3 backups on there (I was trying to delete one of them to free up space on my SD card).

Maybe related are the terrible space issues I've been having. It's also for some time now been telling me that I'm running low on space, but I have moved virtually all of the big programs to the SD card and deleted things I do not use, so I really don't understand how it's having such space issues.

Anyway, I really need some help here. I guess the number one most important thing I need to figure out is why I am no longer rooted. Can I just reroot like I did in the first place? But I'm also very bothered by this syncing problem, and the space issue is not far behind.

my guess is you need to re-install SUPERUSER..download it off the market and once its installed,try to use titanium again (first force stop titanium so it trys to request superuser again)

once you do an OTA update,its basically flashing a NON-ROOTED ROM to your phone (I BELIEVE),since it is STOCK FROM SPRINT..try that an let us know if that helps.

what i would do if I WERE YOU,i would just flash a gingerbread ROM FRESH after a FULL WIPE,to ensure a fresh install.
a
lso you should MANUALLY go into your recovery and wipe/flash from there and not in ROM MANAGER..its MORE RELIABLE..

YOU CAN ALSO,just manually go into your recovery and do a FULL WIPE (i use a .zip called SUPERWIPE.it wipes everything 3 times to ensure a clean install) then proceed to restore back to when your phone was at a normal state.

hope this helps,please post the fix/outcome of your problem.

Reactions: sbollag
Upvote 0
Hello,

i just read a post that said if you updated,you will lose root until a new exploit is made for the new OTA update. so you can try to download superuser and see if that works,but if it doesnt i would search around for the newest exploit for the latest ota updated EVO's..sry for the confusion.

Upvote 0
this is a quote from one of the AWESOME guides named OCNBRZE (hes helped me out alot and is a GREAT guide) i found in a similar post. i take NO credit for this nor do i know if it works,but its also another option,

"i have heard that some people was able to root the new hboot with s=off by using a ruu do downgrade back to froyo 2.2. try this one: Supersonic_3.70.651.1-Odexed_signed_teshxx.zip. just run it on your computer and plug your phone in when it tells you to. aftwerwards you can follow the ROOTING For Dummies guide then use unrevoked to root your phone."

not sure if that will work, but you can try.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Do you still have s-off in hboot and can you still get to recovery? It sounds like maybe a bad flash or download. Check for s-off and recovery first and we can go from there. If you flashed the rooted deodex rom then I see no reason to think that you lost root but verify it first.

Reactions: sbollag
Upvote 0
So it turns out that was all a scare for nothing. I am in fact still rooted, so looks like the update worked alright. However, still having the Gmail and storage issues. I have tried what I have seen suggested elsewhere (clear the data) numerous times, and I even deleted my second account, wiped everything again (although I do not see a Gmail storage in my applications?), restarted, and now it is just stuck on "Your email will appear shortly." What is going on?? And in terms of the space on my phone - I'm totally flabbergasted. I have already moved everything I could through SDMove, just was going through Titanium, everything big is already on there, and just moved one 7-8 MB thing, and it did not free up any space, so something strange is really going on. How can I see a breakdown of what is taking up space on my phone??

Thanks much for all the help so far, really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
So it turns out that was all a scare for nothing. I am in fact still rooted, so looks like the update worked alright. However, still having the Gmail and storage issues. I have tried what I have seen suggested elsewhere (clear the data) numerous times, and I even deleted my second account, wiped everything again (although I do not see a Gmail storage in my applications?), restarted, and now it is just stuck on "Your email will appear shortly." What is going on?? And in terms of the space on my phone - I'm totally flabbergasted. I have already moved everything I could through SDMove, just was going through Titanium, everything big is already on there, and just moved one 7-8 MB thing, and it did not free up any space, so something strange is really going on. How can I see a breakdown of what is taking up space on my phone??

Thanks much for all the help so far, really appreciate it.

Not sure how many apps and such you have but have you tried to either factory reset(wipe user data) or do a full wipe and reflash the rom?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones