• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help! Trouble Rooting Using Unrevoked/Gold Card Tool

With unrevoked 3.21 you don't need to downgrade the HBOOT, did you already get the goldcard.img emailed from the GC tool? If the patch isn't working, delete the goldcard.img and redo the GC tool again and get it to email you another one, took me 2 tries myself. Also some people say some SD cards are reluctant to work.

Reactions: sekhu
Upvote 0
With unrevoked 3.21 you don't need to downgrade the HBOOT, did you already get the goldcard.img emailed from the GC tool?

Yes I did as was instructed by the guide

If the patch isn't working, delete the goldcard.img and redo the GC tool again and get it to email you another one, took me 2 tries myself. Also some people say some SD cards are reluctant to work.

Well I tried two different SD Cards, one a 4gb and another 2gb. Both SandDisk.

Also I was redirected to this:

http://rootmydroid.co.uk/guidefiles/IRC.html

In the page it says to carry out the following:

This is a quick 'n' dirty guide for ADVANCED USERS ONLY. Proceed at entirely you're own risk. How to fix the validation error for backup CID when running unrevoked3.21... adb shell $ /system/__unrevoked_su # cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img # getprop ro.cid HTC__001 <---- remember this # exit adb pull /sdcard/misc.img Now open a hex editor like ghex2, HxD, xvi32 and at the start of the file (position 0) you probably have all FF's. At position 0 enter the cid (HTC__001) from above then follow that with hex '00'... so the hex string looks something like: "48 54 43 5F 5F 30 30 31 00". Save the file and exit the hex editor. adb push misc.img /sdcard/new-misc.img adb shell $ /system/__unrevoked_su # /data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/new-misc.img # exit Now re-run unrevoked and it should now complete successfully.

I dont have linux and dont' know how to use it. Can I do those commands under windows 7?

Thanks for replying

Upvote 0
if you cannot make a gold card out of any sdcard then there is likely to be something you are doing wrong
you cant be so unlucky that you have multiple sdcard that cant be used as goldcard

Are you making sure you have formatted those cards in fat32?
you have creating the cid when the sdcard is formatted?
you are booting with the sdcard inserted and then getting CID without mounting?
you are flashing the CID to the SDCARD when in the device and mounted as a drive?
make sure you rightclick the gold card tool and "run as: administrator"

the above commands you do in ADB shell. adb is in your sdk/tools folder, run it from command prompt

Upvote 0
Are you making sure you have formatted those cards in fat32?

Yes I am formatting in fat32

you have creating the cid when the sdcard is formatted?

Yes I am getting the CID after the card is formatted

I'm not sure what you mean here. I insert the sdcard into the card reader, not the htc desire, and then get the cid for it

you are flashing the CID to the SDCARD when in the device and mounted as a drive?

Again I'm not sure about this bit - When I click on patch to flash the SD Card it gives me the "object instance" error message I quote in the first post

make sure you rightclick the gold card tool and "run as: administrator"

Yes I am using Run As AND I have tried compatibility mode windows xp service pack 3 and with out compatibility mode.

Could you clarify those questions I'm not sure on? Also the previous poster said that, paraphrasing, the sdcards are tempremental

Also some people say some SD cards are reluctant to work.

Thanks for replying

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaman-FB
I'm not sure what you mean here. I insert the sdcard into the card reader, not the htc desire, and then get the cid for it

thats where you are going wrong
the CID is unique to the desire
in order to get the correct CID using the goldcardtool you need to be booted into the device with usb debugging enabled and the SDCARD inserted into the device but on chargeonly, not mounted

Then after you get the new image from your email, patch it by enabling usb disk drive on the device then click refresh and load image, patch

should work

Reactions: SUroot and sekhu
Upvote 0
thanks for the quick reply rastaman-fb - If I have the htc desire as charge only hten in the gold card tool it doesn't show up in the drop down menu as selectable. Only when I insert the sdcard into the sdcard adaptor and place that in the card reader does it show up and give me a CID.

What's going wrong here?

thanks

Upvote 0
theres nothing wrong there
its not supposed to show up in the drop down menu for the 1st part, only the second when you want to mount it.

do as follows

1. go into settings>sdard and storage> click unmount sd card > click format sd card
2. go to settings>applications>development> tick usb debogging
3. connect device to pc and load up goldcard tool as administrator (run as)
4. click get CID then click on link and past the CID from the top box
5. download image from email enable usb disk drive on the device
6. click refresh on gold card tool and select phone usb drive
7. click load and select your new image
8. click patch
9. safely remove hardware from windows and turn off usb
10. job done

:p

Upvote 0
do as follows

1. go into settings>sdard and storage> click unmount sd card > click format sd card
2. go to settings>applications>development> tick usb debogging
3. connect device to pc and load up goldcard tool as administrator (run as)
4. click get CID then click on link and past the CID from the top box

At this point when I click on get CID it spits out the rror message failed to get cid or something to that effect. I try MMC1 and MMC2.

What can I do here?

thanks

EDIT: Problem solved, gold card created

thanks for the help

Upvote 0
thats where you are going wrong
the CID is unique to the desire
in order to get the correct CID using the goldcardtool you need to be booted into the device with usb debugging enabled and the SDCARD inserted into the device but on chargeonly, not mounted

Then after you get the new image from your email, patch it by enabling usb disk drive on the device then click refresh and load image, patch

should work

Gah. I didn't know that

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones