1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support help turn on portable wifi hotspot

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by caameronn, Aug 2, 2012.

1. caameronn

caameronn New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Ok , So im trying to turn on my Portable Wifi Hotspot for my android phone. And whenever I click Turn On. A message appears and says "to enable portable hotpot on this phone, go to att.com/mywireless " . So I went there and signed up and everything. Now it says I have to link the account I made ( At&t Account) , to my At&T Wireless Account and enter my Wireless number ... and I dont even know what that is ! So can someone please show me where I can get a Wireless Account and Number ?

Advertisement

Georgios likes this.
  2. droopies

droopies Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Male
    Memphis
    If you're on AT&T, it's your account number...I believe they charge extra for using it as a hotspot. If you're on Straight Talk or something else, it won't work. You'll have to root and use a third party hotspot app.

3. Rsccman

Rsccman Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Male
    or howbout plug the phone in to the computer using usb and tyou can tether that way
    IM WITH ATT, its only 2.99 a month to allow hotspot, and you need the 2+gb plan, not the 300mb plan

4. Tico2013

Tico2013 New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Hello
    I have the same problem with the wi-fi hotspot

Any ideas of how to make it work?

5. droopies

droopies Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Male
    Memphis
    I am on Straight talk. Make sure your phone is rooted and install Barnacle from the Play store. Works fine for me.

6. thrillho123

thrillho123 New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    If anyone still wants to know how to use the portable hotspot without paying extra for it this is how I did it.

First go to the play store and download quickshortcutmaker(there are no spaces between words) and run it.

Look for a file called settings settings com.android.settings/com.android.settings.tethersettingsNoCheck. Open it and name the shortcut something l like hotspot and hit ok. Run the shortcut you just made and turn the hotspot on.make sure you have a large data plan because it uses allot of data.

7. Georgios

Georgios New Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Male
    Okay! The only way to turn on your hotspot is this.I had the same problem with cricket every time trying to turn the hotspot on getting a massage say attmywirelles after downloading all kind of apps to turn it on and 2 days later nothing I was so mad finally i figured out cricket doesn't support hotspot on Nexus 6 i switched to T-Mobile and now my hotspot it's working. So don't get mad it's nothing wrong with your Nexus 6. That dam cricket don't support Nexus 6 firmware for hotspot don't waste your time there is no other way around it. Just switch carriers or don't use hotspot. But for me i got to have it because i got no internet at home for my laptop.