• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Un-rooting and Factory Reset LG Esteem

RaeG

Feb 28, 2012
Hi,
I'm having a lot of issues with my LG esteem (unresponsive, won't finish scanning media files, unable to load status bar, malfunctioning stock Messaging App and Handcent and constant freezing). This happened after I rooted my phone (the only thing I've done with root is removing the Metro start up sound.) To potentially fix this, I wanted to Factory reset my phone and start from scratch again. However, I did hear that you can destroy your phone by not successfully un-rooting your phone first hand. I've read a few forums on how to do so, but to be honest I'm not tech-savvy so I was hoping to get a very general break down of how or what I should be doing to get my phone back to working smoothly. If there are suggestions for how to do this other than having to un-root and factory reset, I'm down to hear them!
Thanks!

Hi,
I'm having a lot of issues with my LG esteem (unresponsive, won't finish scanning media files, unable to load status bar, malfunctioning stock Messaging App and Handcent and constant freezing). This happened after I rooted my phone (the only thing I've done with root is removing the Metro start up sound.) To potentially fix this, I wanted to Factory reset my phone and start from scratch again. However, I did hear that you can destroy your phone by not successfully un-rooting your phone first hand. I've read a few forums on how to do so, but to be honest I'm not tech-savvy so I was hoping to get a very general break down of how or what I should be doing to get my phone back to working smoothly. If there are suggestions for how to do this other than having to un-root and factory reset, I'm down to hear them!
Thanks!

Were you on Version C or B:thinking: So I understand you want to un root your phone correct:thinking:

Upvote 0
Reactions: RaeG
Upvote 0
First would try to go here and update to the newest version of C
LG Mobile Phone Support

This would remove root and reset your phone to out of the box. Make sure to back up your contacts and files or pics to external if you have not done so.
This tool may tell you that you have the latest version..if so we will go to plan b:D

Yeah it would seem I'm already at the newest version. Hmm. What's plan B?

Upvote 0
Ok...just rooted one yesterday that way..give me an of what you would rather do and put it together.
First though go to your apps find superuser and update it.
Second download ROM Manager from the market..open it and at the top choose install recovery.
Think if you want to stay on stock ROM..or more customized...theme it a little(diff icons & colors)..entirely up to you:D
uwoWEN34

Upvote 0
Ok...just rooted one yesterday that way..give me an of what you would rather do and put it together.
Second download ROM Manager from the market..open it and at the top choose install recovery.
Think if you want to stay on stock ROM..or more customized...theme it a little(diff icons & colors)..entirely up to you:D

I think for now I'll stick with stock, that way if there's still an issue I can take it to metro.

Upvote 0
I think for now I'll stick with stock, that way if there's still an issue I can take it to metro.

:cool: I could revert mine as well at anytime(could never take back to the closest Metro Corp though-they know me;))

Did these?
Second download ROM Manager from the market..open it and at the top choose install recovery.:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones