1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[HELP] Upgrading Desire from Froyo 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SpikyAndroid3, Aug 20, 2012.

1. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

NOTE: My phone is rooted and is S-OFF.

For a while now I have the Android 2.2 version on my HTC Desire, and later after the release of Gingerbread, I have been getting a system update prompt which is around 21 MB and I did try and update my phone before...and failed. Which brings another issue involving not enough storage space(<10MB). Since then I haven't been bothering updating my phone up until now.

Now as updating to 2.3 it will wipe all my data etc. So I have looked into Titanium Backup and have been using it since I got root, and wondered should I backup everything -> update/factory reset? And I am quite afraid of the thought of doing a reset as if anything may go wrong.

Also I have been thinking of doing a NAND Backup before I do it (But that's purposely for backing up before Flashing a ROM, isn't it?) So right now I'm in a very confuzzled state and do not know were to begin and what to do. Is there any point? :thinking:I'm also trying to find a brief step-by-step guide to do this. And if anything goes wrong... I've got
    this awesome forum :D
    I'm not concerned about saving contacts or messages.

Thank you for your time :)

EDIT: I have created a full app+system data backup with Titanium backup and a NAND backup. (Considering a ROM)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Looks like I'm on my own.

*I think this thread is supposed to be on the 'Support and Troubleshooting'?*

3. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert

SpikyAndroid3 likes this.
  4. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Hmmm... So~:
    #If the apps were to be moved to the SD card with its Dalvik-Cache, would that mean all of the app? And not some left-over files in the phones memory?
    #Also, before installing a ROM which has A2SD+ support, would you have to unlock your bootloader = having to un-root?
    #One more question (lol) : As all my apps are currently in my sd card, if I were to Partition it, all of data would be removed, thus making the apps corrupted on my phone - Titanium Backup wouldn't be able to restore properly, right?

5. desarenezitic

desarenezitic Well-Known Member

To answer your questions (hopefully):

1) A2SD scripts act as though the partition on your SD card is your internal memory so all the app and data is stored in one place.
    2) You're rooted so just flash the ROM from recovery, no need to worry about unlocking the bootloader
    3) You've got your apps backed up on Titanium Backup so you'll be restoring from there (they'll be fine), back up anything on your SD card other than apps before you partition it. Partition your SD card and flash whichever ROM you choose, make sure whatever A2SD solution your using is working and then restore your apps.
    If you aren't going to flash a new ROM straight away then don't partition your SD card, do everything at once.

Also just read, re-read and then read again all the posts in the sticky's on here and you'll be fine (plus you have your NAND backup).

Hope that helps.

6. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Thanks desarenezitic for making everything clear to me :)
    I read on a xda forum *here*:

Which ROM should I use as a first timer?

EDIT: I have backed up everything on my SD card on my computer (with the .* folders).

7. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

Hmm - depends on what you want! Want one similar to Stock? I recommend Teppic74's Gingerbread ROM as this will give you a few Root perks (including apps2SD+ - which you will need to partition your SD card to benefit from) as well as feeling famili.ar (more or less identical to official Gingerbread update).
    If you want to venture out into the world of AOSP ROM's, I'd point towards Cyanogen (preferably a Stable build) as it's a good starting point to get the feel of these Roms. However, the best thing you can do is experiment and try them all out for yourself. Have a good look on the XDA index and read through all of the threads and look at the screenies etc. All good fun! And there are so many to try!

If you like slick and stable ROMS, try Redux (I prefer 1.2 but 2.1 is the newer build - to each their own!) And if you enjoy the feel, I really rate the dGB rom (made by SUroot who I believe is still knocking about this forum!) but you need a bit of extra work, such as being S-Off and changing to a smaller hboot and that may be trying to run before you can walk!

Have fun exploring! Developers are still playing with the Desire and new ROMS are still cropping up and existing ones are still being tweaked and shout out if you need!

Laxie likes this.
  8. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Questions, questions, questions...

I've been looking at GPartED to partition my SD Card now and it seems that there is need to tweak BIOS settings, installing the ISO, burning etc.
    However, I'm am seeing this video #click me!# which I think is more 'easier.'

I might be too scavvy with these sort of things but could someone verify that doing it on the android itself is a better option?
    I am aware not to use ROM Manager.
    ~Go into hboot
    ~Recovery (cwm or Ra)
    ~Advanced etc.
    ~Partition SD Card
    Done...
    Then I could ahead and flash a ROM.

Also can I change ROM's when I want? Would I need to format again?
    Thanks for all the replies :D
    Greatly Appreciated!

9. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

gparted is recommended to partition as it aligns the partitions better, ie gives your sd card better read/write speeds. You can change between roms as much as you like, but the general rule is.
    1. nandroid backup from recovery
    2. titanium backup your apps.
    3. full wipe before changing to a different rom

10. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi Spiky,

i really like the aosp style rom - not keen on sense - thinking of trying ics soon maybe as gb pretty dead now for new roms

currently on cronmod 0.1.6 - but all time faves are dGB and mildwild ox

enjoy :)

11. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Sorry for misunderstanding, but do I full wipe the phone (factory reset) or the sd card (then re-partition)? :stupido2:

12. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

A couple of things I would like to point out if I may:

If you don't want to boot via flash/cd for Gparted, you can run gparted in VMWare with a guide here. This is how I did it and the guide was pretty much spot on. And as Shauny said, using GParted is the preferred method. It is a bit of a farce to get initially set up - but it's just following the guide. :D
    Also, it is prety much agreed on this board that the best recovery to use is 4ext (details here) but the older versions (cwm or Ra) still do the job - but I don't know if they have fallen behind with the times and are a hinderance when it comes to some techniques.

13. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

Before you flash any ROM, you must fully wipe the phone - i.e. factory reset. You should leave the SD card as it is as it will contain all the data for your previous apps (when backed up using Titanium or Nandroid).
    Your SD card will be formatted when you partition it, but that's a one-off event. You can back that up by copying & pasting all the files on your SD card onto your computer hard drive, partition the card, then re-paste the data back onto the SD card before rebooting. The only thing I can think of is if you're SD card is currently full, you will have (reccommended) 1gb less than before as this has been dedicated to yous ext partition.

14. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

What a coincidence, I was looking on youtube how to run a Virtual Linux with GPartED -> Right Here

But anyway, thank you!

15. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

These may be final questions before I get started.
    Here they are:
    &#8226;I have a 4 GB sd card in my android. What settings should I use to efficiently partition my sd card?
    &#8226;Once the SD card is fully wiped should I just put the ROM files on the root of the sd card and flash it from recovery...?
    &#8226;...Wouldn't wipe remove recovery etc.?
    &#8226;Finally - Re-Flashing a new ROM or Factory Reset = Re-Root?

16. desarenezitic

OK here goes:

1. The size of partition is up to you although most ROMS recommend a max of 1GB; this will obviously cut down your storage space for other stuff. My wife has a 4GB SD and I partitioned it at 750MB EXT4 for her Wildfire S.
    2. Once you've partitioned your SD card put any files you want back on there along with the ROM of your choice in the root of the SD Card. Flashing does not affect the FAT32 part of your SD card so those files will be OK (Plus they're backed up already, right? ;))
    3. Wipe will not remove recovery, your are wiping data, settings etc
    4. Follow the specific instructions of the ROM you've chosen but generally it is full wipe / factory reset. This will not un-root your phone, just clear all data etc Then you can flash from recovery and enjoy setting up your new phone.
    Let us know how it goes :D

17. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

I guess I should get started!

I have a nice bunch of info from you awesome people!

(Should also help future references :D)

Now I'm up and running on my pc I might do some sort of real-time partitioning and some flashing ROMS!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    All right, so I'm using A VM running "Puppy Linux" that has GPartED (following a youtube tutorial)
    And I've deleted the first partition which was 3.69 GB and left an unallocated partition.
    I've made a new partition which I made as an ext2 1.37 GB, leaving 2.32GB left.
    With the unallocated one, should I make that a ext3 or fat32 and use the remaining 2.32GB?

#I've just accidentally created my ext2 partition bigger than my fat32 partition. Is there a way to make it smaller. Resizing the fat32 partition just make another unallocated partition. What should I do?

Attached Files:

18. desarenezitic

A couple of things, 1.37GB maybe too much (I've only ever seen a 1GB maximum partition size recommended, 1GB will be loads for apps).

I'd start again, format you SD card and create the first partition as FAT32 at ~3GB and then make whatever is less (1GB max) and Ext4 partition, remember to make both of them primary.

19. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

I'm having a couple problems now. When I'm formatting the sd card in windows, it's showing 1.34 GB (I re-did the ext2 partition before). Is this normal? How could I delete all the partitions and start again?

20. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Isn't Ext4 a much newer partition which some ROM's wouldn't be able to support? I read on the A2SD+ thread that it should be an Ext2 partition (correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT: Forget about that and the picture I uploaded. I referred to this Article here.
    Instead of deleting the second Ext* Partition, I was able to Resize my fat partition without creating another one.

21. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Alright So I have Finally Partition my SD Card! :smokingsomb::D

Now time to flash a ROM with A2SD+!
    The ROM I'm going to choose now is:
    -----I'm Still Browsing ROMS-----

Just to dust up everything:~

>I had 77 items in my SD card before I Partitioned (including .* folders). I'm not sure whether all those files would be able to fit in my SD card (I need them for backups...?) If they did, what segment do I put them in: fat32 or Ext3?
    >What partition do I put the ROM files in? Linux Confusion (haha)
    *> If I didn't consider flashing a ROM, and I wanted to update my Stock ROM (with root) what would be that solution?

I really appreciate how everyone has helped me and made me understand.
    Hopefully this thread will help in the future!

22. desarenezitic

Glad you got it sorted :)

Depends how big those 77 items are, I assume there are personal files included in that? (Pics, music, video etc). Just check the size of your SD backup you made and see if it will fit, you will definitely need the Titanium Backup folder and clockworkMOD backup file you made (in case anything goes wrong during flashing).
    Put everything on FAT32, your Windows machine shouldn't be able to see your Ext3 or 4 partition anyway.

I think the rooted stock ROMS part of the HTC Desire index on XDA is what you want if you want to stay stock but with A2SD (everyone recommends teppic's ROM but I never tried it). I would encourage you to step out into the wider world of ROMS and try something different though.

The best thing about flashing ROMS is you can always try something else :D

23. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Wow. I was writing a response and all of a sudden my computer shut itself down no warning. Tried again, same thing. Now I'm forced to write it on my other phone. It was also transferring files to the sd card.

Anyway, those 77 files was a grand total of 2.27GB / 2.67GB <(new fat32).
    As it was quite a bit, I am going to browse through the files and delete the ones I don't need (transferring grew pretty fast).
    Would I need game data? Would Titanium restore them?
    As I have never flashed a rom, do you put the zip file in the root of the sd card -> hboot -> recovery (I think I have AmonRa) -> flash from zip (or some sort)?
    Im probably considering the CyanogenMod, not sure.
    Thanks again to everyone who helped me and took their time :)

24. desarenezitic

Yes ROM on the root of SD but you'll need room for the ROM zip file also. Boot into recovery do your wipes and install from zip. I have Clockwork mod so not sure on the exact layout of amonRA.

25. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Member

Before I flash a ROM, does it need to be compatible with the stock ROM version.
    So as I have 2.2 (Froyo) do I need a ROM for Froyo.
    Or is the link categorizing ROM's similar to the Stock ROM version?
    :thinking:

P.S. CyanogenMod 7 for HTC Desire GSM...

Confused Once More :(

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews