1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help w/ Automatic OTA Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheGuvnah07, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TheGuvnah07

TheGuvnah07 Lurker

All, the new OTA update for my TB automatically came through and attempted to install on my phone. I'm rooted using Revolutionary.

First, it took me to a screen with the android icon and a yellow exclamation point, then to the Revolutionary screen which told me that it "failed to verify whole-file signature" and that "signature verification failed". "Installation aborted."

I see the instructions on what to do if you accidentally accept an OTA update, but because I'm at the Revolutionary menu, it seems as though there could be something else I can do to fix this loop. What can I do?

Thank you

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 4x4le

4x4le Well-Known Member

I woke up today with the stupid icon when the updates fail. My phone powers on and then shuts back down quicker than I can do anything with it. Im going to have to see if there is anything downloaded to the sd card that I can delete.

I need to find the info that needs edited too so I can change the build prop (I think thats what I did on the incredible) so I can turn off the updater. Can I run the revolutionary tool to un root, accept update, re root? I was under the impression thats what it was for.

Im rooted stock rom with revolutionary tool at this point btw. I was rooted old school method btw and was terribly unsatisfied with the roms out so when the ota hit I downgraded loosing root, took all updates to current gb, then re rooted using revolutionary and had been happy ever since (until this morning).

Gotta get this phone working quick.

3. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

Clear cache/dalvik cache in your revolutionary clockwork recovery to get a working phone.

After that you can either:

1)install the stock recovery so you can install the ota
    Or
    2)look in system/etc/security for a file called otacerts.zip and rename it.

StateYourJames likes this.
  4. TheGuvnah07

TheGuvnah07 Lurker

In the Revolutionary menu I chose Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache then rebooted my phone. As soon as I get to the main screen it reboots again and tries to install the update. What else should I have cleared?

5. 4x4le

4x4le Well-Known Member

this just happened to me too

6. Buddha64

Buddha64 Android Enthusiast

I cleared two caches... didn't have a problem after that.

And I froze the com.smithmicro.DM to insure I don't get OTAs unexpectedly again.

7. 4x4le

4x4le Well-Known Member

whats the other cash you cleared? the cash partition?

8. Buddha64

What does this second option do?

9. Buddha64

Main CWM screen... "wipe cache partition."

Advanced screen... "wipe Dalvik Cache"

That was all I did, and it stopped cycling power, and trying to update.

4x4le likes this.
  10. 4x4le

4x4le Well-Known Member

ok, yea I was unsure about the partition one on the main screen as I have never done that one before while expecting my phone to be the same afterwords (just used it when flashing roms in the past).

Its booting up now. time will tell......

Thanks

edit: works great, file renamed too.

11. TheGuvnah07

TheGuvnah07 Lurker

How can I get to system/etc/security? I'm not finding that directory using ASTRO. Apologies for my inexperience.

12. 4x4le

4x4le Well-Known Member

root explorer would be the easiest to do nativly on the phone. Im not sure if there are other similar ones that are free now or not.

after you navigate to the folder your looking for you need to click the mount r/w button so you can write to the read only memory.

13. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Member

Will the OTA only push if you are using the stock rom? If it will push nomatter what, is renaming the otacerts.zip file the best way to stop it?

14. Buddha64

dmc27 likes this.
  15. scotty85

this file contains digital signitures that the OTA looks for. without them it will fail.

i dont know if its the best way,as im not sure what freezing com.smithmicro.DM does.

renaming otacerts.zip will let the OTA download,but not flash. if freezing com.smithmicro.DM stops the checking and downloading alltogether,then it would be a better way to go. heck,why not go ahead and do both :p

just remember that the OTA is bringing some benefits that will hopefully make your phone better and youre not getting them by staying on 2.11.605.5.

id pretty strongly recomend to update by either:
    1)replace custom recovery with stock and accept the OTA
    or
    2)flash the rooted stock 2.11.605.9 rom

16. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Member

Besides radios (I already updated mine), what is on the update? Would I flash the rooted stock rom then my BAMF Sense rom? Also, Can I just flash the new rom and load my backup or should I reflash my rom?

EDIT: I am currently dling the debloated rooted OTA now.

Should I flash this rom as I normally would?

17. scotty85

18. dwbrewer

dwbrewer Newbie

I have installed the Verizon rooted ROM. It has much better Exchange connectivity. Before this update, at times it would take several minutes to connect and update. After the update, it connects and updates within 10 seconds.

19. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

After you delete both caches ( dalvik cache and cache partition) just reboot phone, then go straight to
    Menu(button on phone) -> Settings -> Software update -> Check New -> Reject. This will stop it from trying this version.

20. nk00

nk00 Newbie

i installed the new rooted update and radio, and did the partition cache and dalvik cache wipe, but when i go in to settings/update it's still asking me if i want to install the defered update. but in my software info, it's showing the new .9 version. anyone have any thoughts?

21. PoweredByLE5

PoweredByLE5 Well-Known Member

so im restoring stock root and applying ota? i wont loose root that way?

22. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Member

I am trying to rename otacerts.zip with File Manager, but it keeps saying "operation failed". Suggestions?

23. dmc27

dmc27 Newbie

Go into the File Manager settings and make the folder/files writable (toward the bottom of the settings page).

xmetalfan99 likes this.
  24. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Member

Awesome, thank you. I just renamed mine dontotacert.zip.

25. turboluis

turboluis Newbie

please forgive my ignorance, but does anybody have a link to where i can get this ota file from? if it is already on my phone, which folder would it be on? last time around i recall that i had to manually download the update directly from verizon and install it manually since my phone is rooted. does anyone have a clear idea of what noticeable benefits are in this update? if it is not ics, i dont see incentive to update as my was working just fine prior to this.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews