• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help help w/GBA Roms . how do i play them ?

Hi. I just got the Samsung Fascinate. This is my first smartphone, so i've never downloaded apps. Anyway, I downloaded a gba_bios.bin file and I created the subfolder "gameboids" inside the "game" folder and moved all the roms I downloaded to the gameboid folder. Now here's what happens

1) I open the gameboid app
2) it asks me to select a ROM and it presents a list of all my roms
/sdcard/games/gameboides
3) I select gba_bios.bin
4) the screen transitions to show a gameboy controller with buttons to click on (they vibrate)
5)This is where I get lost. I have no idea what to do afterward. I did everything but actually load the ROM.

Can you help me?

THANKS!!!

When you put the ROM into the gameboid folder, don't extract it. Keep the .zip file and it should work then. I know im like 2 months late and you must've figured it out by now but the info will help others hopefully.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming you want to use the Gameboid emulator, so here are the steps for that:

1) Download Gameboid from the Market.

2) Download the gba_bio.bin file on your computer (I got it here: gba_bios.bin)

3) Hook your Droid up to your computer with the USB cable, pull down the notifications window and select "USB connected" and then Mount.

4) Go to your SD card and create a folder (I used "games") and then a folder for your Gameboid bios and roms (I used "gameboid") so you have sdcard/games/gameboid.

5) Copy the gba_bios.bin into the gameboid folder.

6) Download .gba rom files for the games you want and put them in the same folder.

7) Turn off USB Storage, open gameboid, navigate to your gameboid folder and load the rom.

8) Start playing!

hey can you help me out a little? i installed the tiger gba, i cant get gameboid cus they got kick out the market. i found a website but i cant download it because at&t doesnt allow non-market downloads :mad: i tried putting the bios and roms into the tiger gba folder and it showed the games on the list but it didnt work so i made a new folder sdcard/roms/gba now the games start but force close after like 5 seconds wtf. i have tried different roms and games and they all force close. damn this was so much easier on my itouch.

EDIT: I downloaded "gameboy advance emulator" from market and now my roms work maybe they didn't work cuz tiger gba sucks

And to the ppl whos emulator force closes maybe try downloading a different emu and creating the folder the same way I did

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
OK have the Bionic and just installed gameboid and bios. Ive tried multiple different roms both extracted and not extracted ill get to the screen to load the rom and click on one then the screen will go black like the gameboid is going to start but then i either get kicked back to the load rom screen or my home screen. Do i have to change the filename of these roms to get them to work? Ir is my gameboid player at fault?

Upvote 0
OK have the Bionic and just installed gameboid and bios. Ive tried multiple different roms both extracted and not extracted ill get to the screen to load the rom and click on one then the screen will go black like the gameboid is going to start but then i either get kicked back to the load rom screen or my home screen. Do i have to change the filename of these roms to get them to work? Ir is my gameboid player at fault?

This is the forum for the Motorola DROID (the original, that came out right at 2 years ago).

You should be posting in the BIONIC forums, not here.

The two phones are completely different.

Upvote 0
I can't get GBC AD to work. I made a new folder "Gameboy" on my SD card, put the gba_bios.bin, pokemon.GBA games and even tried leaving them with .zip extensions... either way I get unable to open ROM when I try to load them? The .zip folders are all that are visible in the emulator too, it doesn't even show the .bin or .gba files?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones