• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help w/ rooting on 2.3.4

I had trouble earlier this year trying to root my G2, never could get it to work. I tried it again a couple of weeks ago and it worked perfectly the first time. I remember messing around with the HTC bootloader when they announced they were unlocking it, but this time around I had forgotten about it so I never bothered.

Do a search for the G2 cyanogenmod wiki page, follow the directions closely and you shouldn't have any problems. I'm pretty new to this stuff as well, so I didn't understand everything I was doing, but it worked.

Now I flashed CM7 on my G2, but it honestly isn't running that well. Slow, laggy and unresponsive. Every couple of days or so the phone will just shut off and I will have to remove the battery to get it back on. Came on the forums tonight to look for a fix or a different rom, so do your research. I just wanted to root it to stop the photobucket notifications ;)

Upvote 0
What's the difference between the way you posted and HTC's bootloader unlock on the htcdev website? I'm new to rooting and I'd prefer to not downgrade my G2 because that seems like extra work, espcially because HTC has its own way to root. Would that way work just as well? Thanks for your help!

If you just want to root, then the HTC method is definitely good enough. If you want to flash different ROMs, it is still fine, but you will just need to go thru an extra step of flashing the kernel thru Fastboot with a computer. I personally like the extra freedoms afforded by using the method from the CM and G2 wikis, but the HTC method will let you do basically what you want also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones