1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help w Trying To OTA UPDATE My Rooted Razr Today

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bionicchronic, Apr 27, 2012.

1. bionicchronic

bionicchronic Lurker

I have a rooted droid razr. I have the stock rom with the Go Launcher Ex.

Do I have to do anything besides unfreeze the bloatware to accept the OTA update?

Do I have to unroot my phone?

Thanks. I delayed the update another hour.

2. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

First off, it's not ICS it's an update to gingerbread. Second, as long as you haven't made any system changes (it sounds like you haven't) it should install with just unfreezing the apps. You'll probably want to run ota rootkeeper before the update.

trophynuts and bionicchronic like this.
  3. bionicchronic

bionicchronic Lurker

ahh... thank you for the info. I am not well versed in this area.

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

OP would you mind changing the title to this thread and take out "ICS"? Thanks.

5. bionicchronic

bionicchronic Lurker

6. ffeatccn

ffeatccn Newbie

I'm also rooted but haven't been messing with anything system wide that I can think of. When I go to manually update to 6.12.181 from the OTA it gives me a box that reads "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later." Is anyone else having this trouble? Is the OTA sniffing for something special on my device before it will let me update?

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

It may just be that it's not available for your phone yet.

Have you ever used Cheesecake? Try rebooting the phone, sometimes that's all it needs.

8. ffeatccn

ffeatccn Newbie

I am not using Cheesecake (never heard of it- is it in the Market? I'll go check) but I reboot several times a week and haven't gotten anything through.

9. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Don't use cheesecake!!

I'd give it a few days. My wife just got the update about an hour ago while I had the update the day it became available.

10. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

the ota will also not work if you have safestrap or cwm installed, as i found in my case...

11. Bodycount

Bodycount Android Enthusiast

I had several apps frozen using titantium (free version).

NFL, MOG, Netflix, Slacker, Slingbox, Verizon Video (doesn't work if you're rooted so I froze it), VPN, VZ Navigator, Amazon Kindle.

My update went fine. I didn't even unroot the phone first.

I did lose root after the update but with the Motofail root app, I got it right back.

12. ffeatccn

ffeatccn Newbie

After several more days I'm still not getting anything from the OTA menu other than "Check for update is not available." Is anyone else still getting this message? Why isn't it telling me that I'm up-to-date instead?

13. Chi-TownTx

Chi-TownTx Well-Known Member

I get the unable to connect to Motorola Services when i try to do it but honestly not sweating it. Have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the latest ota and as it stands with what i have frozen and how my phone is now everything runs like a dream. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That being said if you really must have it working then just use matt's tool. Easy enough to find just google it.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews