• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Wanted - Droid 3 Root "Links Expired"

CalebDutrow

Lurker
Dec 11, 2012
-Brand New Droid 3-
I'm completely new to rooting and could use a little help. All of the download links i'm finding,from various forums, are expired.

System Version - 5.7.906.XT862.Verizon.en.US
Model Number - Droid 3
Android Version - 2.3.4
Baseband Version - N_03.18.32P
Kernel Version - 2.6.35.7-g5fa4155
xrpk47@il93lnxdroid25#1
Build Number - 5.5.1_84_D3G-66_M2-10
ERI Version - 5
PRL Version - 52707

PS... I would prefer to root from my Mac but I'll settle for a PC version if that's all you can come up with

-Brand New Droid 3-
I'm completely new to rooting and could use a little help. All of the download links i'm finding,from various forums, are expired.

System Version - 5.7.906.XT862.Verizon.en.US
Model Number - Droid 3
Android Version - 2.3.4
Baseband Version - N_03.18.32P
Kernel Version - 2.6.35.7-g5fa4155
xrpk47@il93lnxdroid25#1
Build Number - 5.5.1_84_D3G-66_M2-10
ERI Version - 5
PRL Version - 52707

Just curious - why do you need these particular files? I mean, for what purpose? In order to root, you *should* not need any of these files.

However, I'll ask this: there are a few models of the droid 3 (though only one for Verizon.) In settings->about phone, what is your system version?

As for baseband, are you planning to use this phone as a Verizon phone, or as a GSM phone on another network?

PRL files can be updated at any time, on any Verizon phone, by dialing *228 and selecting option 2.

Anyway, it's my belief that you do not need these files, but if you mention exactly why you need them, and I can find copies, I'll see if I can find links.

PS... I would prefer to root from my Mac but I'll settle for a PC version if that's all you can come up with

Most Droid 3 phones on Verizon have been update to system 5.7.906 by now. That version is best rooted with Dan Rosenberg's method Motofail, which you can find here: Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

There is a version that runs on the Mac, from a Terminal command. Though it's not quite so simple as it is for Windows, and the instructions on his site are pretty bare-bones for Mac and Linux:

Update: a Linux/OSX version of the script is available here. Same deal: USB debugging mode, attach to PC, extract zip file, change into the zip directory, and invoke

Reactions: CalebDutrow
Upvote 0
Thanks a million.. Those were the exact files I was trying to locate.. I knew exactly what I needed but every time i found them I was directed to a metafire download link that was expired....

SO... Now that I have the super user app installed and have root access. What should I do from here... Custom roms? I've heard a very little about these and don't know which ones I should flash or why... Do you know where I can find a list of the best roms for the Droid 3? And possibly explain which ones you would prefer

Upvote 0
Hi Doogald,

Thanks for the well thought and effort to reply to CalebDutrow's post.

This morning I decided to upgrade my Droid 3 (maybe to a S3), but would like to minimize the transition. Keeping apps and contacts are key. I noticed I had ROM Manager and a 16G SD card, but not rooted.

Is rooting ideal for this use case, or is another option a better choice? Ease and accuracy is the balance, of course :)

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Thanks a million.. Those were the exact files I was trying to locate.. I knew exactly what I needed but every time i found them I was directed to a metafire download link that was expired....

SO... Now that I have the super user app installed and have root access. What should I do from here... Custom roms? I've heard a very little about these and don't know which ones I should flash or why... Do you know where I can find a list of the best roms for the Droid 3? And possibly explain which ones you would prefer

Ok, that's great. I'll take some time a bit later to detail some of these things - what you can do rooted stock, good custom ROMs, best practices to try them out, etc. Give me a bit, though.

Hi Doogald,

Thanks for the well thought and effort to reply to CalebDutrow's post.

This morning I decided to upgrade my Droid 3 (maybe to a S3), but would like to minimize the transition. Keeping apps and contacts are key. I noticed I had ROM Manager and a 16G SD card, but not rooted.

Is rooting ideal for this use case, or is another option a better choice? Ease and accuracy is the balance, of course :)

If you are planning to root the new phone, there are some benefits to rooting the D3 for this (particularly backing up apps and data and restoring them to the the new phone.) However, rooting a brand new phone is a *huge* step, at least to me. I neve do myself. One reason is that Verizon and the other carriers give you a try-out period when you can return a new phone, and rooting and then returning - which invalidates the warranty - just isn't for me.

If you do want to root the new phone right away, though, I suggest getting a copy of Titanium Backup Pro. It's worth the cost to me, and allows you on the new phone, from menu->batch, retore all user apps and data to the new phone. (I'd stay away from system apps and data, though.)

However, for contacts and apps, you should be all set, rooted or not. If your contacts are all synced with Google contacts, then when you activate your new phone with your Google account, the contacts will all sync.

If your contacts are synced with Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus, and you get another Verizon phone, your contacts should also sync.

If your contacts are not synced, the D3 contacts app, from menu->manage contacts, allows you to back them up to your SD card. You can then take that file, import them into Google contacts, and then sync them down on the new phone.

That *should* also happen with your applications if you have (from home) settings->privacy set up with "Back up my data". When you activate your new phone, one question will be whether you want to restore your apps - the apps on your phone now *should* be installed on your new phone as part of the first synchronization. That said, that hasn't always worked for me.

However, if you go to the Play Store on a PC browser, it should show all of the apps that you had installed on the D3. And, as long as our new phone supports the app, you should be able to install them from the PC browser. It is one-by-one, but at least you have the option to quickly install from a computer rather than doing so on the phone.

I hope that helps...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones