1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help! What is '10278' and why is it eating away my battery?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Gypsy_Acid_Queen, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Gypsy_Acid_Queen

None

Apr 11, 2016
    Male
    Screenshot_20160411-095812.png Screenshot_20160411-094912.png Hi there, I upgraded my Galaxy s6 to android 6.0 a few days ago and I noticed my battery draining faster than I would have thought normal, so I look under the battery section in the settings and see a process it quotes as '10278' having drained almost as much battery as my screen in my 2/3 hours of use this morning... A quick Google did not assist, wondering if you guys had any idea what's going on. Also worthy of note is that I cannot force quit the process, it's greyed out...

Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    I don't know for sure, but would expect to see "Android OS" or "Android System" next to that little black android. I think that it what it is, but using a system User id rather than the normal name. The percentage used seems about right for that. I assume these system processes are not listed further down the screens you posted..

If the battery use has increased since you updated to 6.0, have you encrypted the phone? If you have been streaming music via data (rather than wifi) with the screen on, the usage does not seem particularly abnormal to me.

3. Gypsy_Acid_Queen

None

Apr 11, 2016
    Male
    Hi there and thanks very much for your reply!

I should have stated in the original post that I had already checked the rogue process is not a standard one in disguise... As you can see from the attached screenshot the 10278 is separate to the android system. Clearly the battery usage has diminished, but I do not like there being an untraceable oddity! Similarly, I must imagine the problem might resurface :'(

I have now run a virus scan between three and four times using various applications to an utterly fruitless yield. I am highly confused...

Thanks again, really!

Attached Files:

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

Try installing Quick System Info Pro (Shaun Q) from Playstore and drilling down into the running processes - it gives process IDs