• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

help - what tablet to get?

InGearX

Android Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2011
my mom has Samsung Galaxy s3 and loves it..

she is going for 3 months to visit friends outside US

i think tablet would be great addition for her

to browse internet
watch youtube/movies ..

I never had one so i am just thinking how many inches is good?

8"? 10"? 12"?

also since she has Samsung Galaxy s3 I guess I better get Samsung one.. so she will be in the same UI interface that she ia used to?

what do you think?

(one terrible thing about Samsung is that they do not have red underline spell check :/ why?)

=======

also I better get her one with SIM card (vs just WiFi) since place she will be in might or might not have WiFi..

=======

also MicroSD card expansion is a must

=======

also i imagine would be nice if there was a physical keyboard accessory that could cover the screen (much like for Asus Transformer T100)

=======

hmmmmm what else to consider?

water / shock proof?

=======

with that maybe my options are very limited ?

here are at Samsclub
http://m.samsclub.com/products/tablets/3080109

any advice .. info .. much appreciated..

thank you..

I tend to think that 8 is a nice convenient size for a tablet. 12 is as large as some laptops, and rather unwieldy for hand held usage IMO. Don't think that many tablets are specially waterproofed or shockproofed, unless they're specially made industrial ones, like Panasonic ToughPad. Samsung are good tablets, and will give her familiarity if she's already used to a Samsung phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones