1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General HELP: WiFi or 3G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dblhelx, Jan 1, 2012.

1. dblhelx

dblhelx Member
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    Bare with me here, I'm new to this. :)

I almost went with the Transformer Prime. But I'm now leaning back towards a 10.1 tab.

All I really wanna do is web surf....anywhere. Text, some apps, games (not a hardcore gamer in need of a Tegra 3).

I'm spoiled by being able to tether my laptop to my HTC Evo, for free, using a micro-USB cable and PDA.net and access the web anywhere I want (SPrint has great service here). That would be KEY to be able to do this and get internet anywhere that WiFi isn't available. (I do have WiFi at home)

I don't want to pay extra per month to a carrier to surf the web when I'm out of the house and would like to just hook up a USB kit, plug in my Evo and start up PDA.net

Do I get the WiFi version of this or do I need the 3G version?

THANKS! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Advertisement

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    If you get Tab WiFi, you won't be able to tether using your phone and a USB cable with the Tab. The only way is to pay for the WiFi hotspot feature and use that with the tab.

If you get Tab 3G, you will still have to payfor a data plan.

3. homey

homey Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    I had this exact same dilemma and in the end I went for the WiFi model because I could tether to my Note. I couldn't and still cant see the point of a tablet with 3G when tethering is such a versatile, easy and (much) cheaper option!

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Not for me. Battery in the phone dies much too fast when tethering.

5. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    If you get the 3G version it will work anywhere the tablet has a signal. But you will incur some costs for that. Call your carrier to see if they offer a data sharing plan of some kind. My carrier offers one that allows me to use the data plan on my phone and share it with my tablet without a separate plan. I pay $15/mth to share the data on my 6gig plan.

As another poster noted, using WiFi tethering will work, but it does put a heavy drain on your cell phone battery, which is why I went with the 3G Tab instead of the Transformer.