1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support !!Help!! Will not recover or factory reset!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by g.shock1, Sep 16, 2011.

1. g.shock1

g.shock1 Lurker
    None

Sep 16, 2011
    Have had this Inc for about 8 months, it has not been rooted, flashed, or anything else; just factory fresh. After shutting down to exchange a fresh batt and tried to start up it froze on the white "HTC Incredible" screen. Popped out the batt, tried "recovery" (thru volume down + power) but stops on the red trianlge/exclamation. This is also the result when I try factory reset.

When I try +volume/power from that screen I get the system recovery menu, but none of the options there get me anywhere. Tried to wipe data, tried to update from Sd card and even wipe data and factory reset, but I just get messages at the bottom showing E:can't open . . . E:can't mount. . . ect.

I'm mad about loosing data, but I am banging my head against the wall over not having a phone. I was gonna just send it in for replacement, but the guy at Verizon said that my factory warranty would be voided because I have Ghost Armor, so when they pull the phone they will see "tripped moisture sensors" from the install, and will just bill me for a new phone.
    Is there any way to re-install the factory software from the SD card, or could I possibly get around this issue by rooting? Never rooted before due to the warranty thing, but from what I have been told I am SOL on warranty coverage so I will try anything.
    Any help would be awesome!

Advertisement

euph_22 likes this.
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Look in the all things root section at the root sticky, there is a linked thread on how to "downgrade to official 2.2". those steps will reinstall the OS from scratch.

3. g.shock1

g.shock1 Lurker
    None

Sep 16, 2011
    Tried that, and when it finished I got the message "Main version is older." :thinking:

4. sdrawkcab25

None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA

So you are running gingerbread? Did you receive it through OTA or install a leak?

Have you tried starting in safe mode? Tried booting without the SD card?

5. g.shock1

g.shock1 Lurker
    None

Sep 16, 2011
    not sure about Gingerbread. My Inc did a system update (OTA) a few days ago, but that is it. I didn't manually install anything. When I boot in safe mode (tried with and without SD card) I get past the HTC incredible screen, I get the "Quietly brillient", then the red eye, and then it loops back starts over.

6. sdrawkcab25

None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA

The OTA was gingerbread (2.3.4) I'd take it to Verizon and see what they say.

7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    You can't root anymore unfortunately. Only hope is to install 2.3.4 Ruu over the top in hboot (PB31IMG) and hope for a clean boot up.