• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with a POP3 issue!

Rockindiver

Feb 26, 2010
Hi,
I've got my POP3 running to get my work emails but I have what could be a major issue. When an email arrives on my PC it's good.....until it's also downloaded into the Eris. Once it arrives on the Eris it automatically changes to "read" on the PC whether I've read it or not. It only shows as "read" on the Eris if I actually read it.
I can't find anything in the manual that addresses this problem. How do I get the "read" function to be independent on my PC and Eris?

What sort of access do you have running at home? POP or IMAP? And you're using POP on your phone correct?

I have IMAP access on my phone and at home so the "read" status is always in sync. I actually don't want it to be independent as you do.

And the manual will do you no good for technical issues such as this. A manual is really only good for one thing, letting idiots know how to do the most basic things with their phone. How to send an SMS, how to check e-mail, etc.

Upvote 0
Its POP and it's my work email not my home. Not sure what you mean by "using POP correct".
Everyone else here has Blackberry's and don't have this issue. I talked to HTC and they say it's something the phone does and there is no fix. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one having this issue.

Upvote 0
I didn't mean to say you were using "POP correct". I don't even know what that would mean. I was asking if you use POP on your phone, correct? Read that sentence aloud and pause at the comma. It was a question.

Anyway, it probably all depends on your e-mail provider as to how the POP and IMAP access is being treated. BTW, the Eris defaults to IMAP when you set up an e-mail account in the HTC e-mail app. When I had IMAP on my phone, and POP at home, the messages would get downloaded by my phone, and then never show up at all at home. That is why I just changed to IMAP everywhere so everything stays in sync. You can change your phone to use POP, that may fix the issue (if that's possible, I've not tried).

Upvote 0
I don't know that this will help you, but I have POP mail set up on my Eris, and when receiving it on my phone, it does not make it show up as "read" when I download it to my computer.

I have my phone set to leave mail on the server. Once I download it to my PC, I have my mail tool set to remove it from the server.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones