1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General Help with advice (smartphone virgin)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DroiKid, Feb 16, 2011.

?

Is the 16G external enough compared to the 16g internal + expandable SD slot for Vibrant/Galaxy S 4G

1. The loss of internal memory is acceptable

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Not enough on the Galaxy 4G

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. More than enough on the Galaxy 4G

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. DroiKid

DroiKid Newbie
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Great USA
    please delete

Advertisement

2. mavictb

mavictb Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Reno, NV
    im still hearing mixed info on if this phone will have 16gb internal or not. none of the hands on videos are very clear. one does say it has 16gb internal but we wont know till someone does in in depth review.

either way if your not putting 30+gb of music/videos on your phone then 16 gb is 16 gb weather its internal or external. if there IS 16gb internal that means you have a total capacity of up to 48gb if it does NOT have 16gb internal you have a capacity of up to 33GB. in any case... thats way more than enough.

3. DroiKid

DroiKid Newbie
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Great USA
    Thanks, a few pages i read said it is shipped with the 16g, but it is an SD card so i thought it was just external but anyways, i have no clue how much memory things take up on these smartphones...
    Also on the rooting articals i read, it says you have to put stuff onto the internal? seems like there's got to be a way to do it still? will there be enough memory to do alot of that stuff in the future? You probably know little more than I do about the phone haha

4. mavictb

mavictb Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Reno, NV
    It will have at least a couple gigs internal memory. Im thinking it will have 16gb internal like the vibrant does. it will have enough to do anything you want to do trust me on that one lol.

5. TozyJay

TozyJay Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Programmer
    Burlington, KY
    Yeah I wouldn't worry about the internal space - my current phone has 8 gigs and I haven't used 1! Everything is on the SD card.

6. gggirlgeek

gggirlgeek Member
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Seattle
    I am very concerned about this and haven't heard much back from the devs on xda yet. Any app that you want to run with a widget needs to be on the Internal memory. It seems that's every other app in the Market now. Doesn't Google maps cache to the internal memory too; not to mention the browsers?

In addition the external card is a lot slower than the internal disk. On top of that I've recently discovered that the way the external card gets formatted by the Android really slows it down. My class 2 & class 4 8GB cards formatted elsewhere test MUCH faster than the class 6 card on my Android, which I verified and tested when I got it new. The others actually have a lot more data on them as well, so should be slower. (Yes, I elminated all other variables and tested them in the same place. They are the same brand.) Basically, a slow card = slow programs.

Last, there has been some mention of trouble with modding these phones with less space. I haven't been able to get specifics yet and have not tried any mods myself, so I don't know what changes require internal memory. Supposedly basic Rom flashing will be OK.

I would love to hear back from experienced Android folks about this. My whole trade-in decision hinges on it.