• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Android College Project

Hi

Apologies if this is not the correct forum for this post.

I am working on a college project to create a directory of andriod related sites - of which there are many.

My problem is trying to ascertain a classification for them - i.e. different categories.

Obviously there are forum sites such as this, blogs, apps and developers but I struggling to think of others and wondered if anyone could give me a few suggestions as I'm sure I am missing some obvious ones :thinking:

Many thanks
Mark

Thank you for your suggestions. The more I look at it the harder it seems to be as most sites cover a multitude of different topics within them which makes categorisation of the sites difficult.

The list I have so far is:

Apps
Blogs
Carriers
Developers
Forums
Manufacturers
News and Reviews

I anyone has any more suggestions to add to the list or sub-lists thereof I would be most grateful.

Mark

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestions. The more I look at it the harder it seems to be as most sites cover a multitude of different topics within them which makes categorisation of the sites difficult.

Apps
Blogs
Carriers
Developers
Forums
Manufacturers
News and Reviews

I anyone has any more suggestions to add to the list or sub-lists thereof I would be most grateful.

Mark

Mine would similar.

Phone reviews
App reviews
Forums
Manufacturers
Developers
Carriers
Blogs
News

And a site could be in more than one category (and some... would end up in all of them).

Reactions: magicmarkuk10
Upvote 0
The way I always looked at these kinds of things is this. I always tried to pick a subject I knew the teacher knew little/nothing about and then just used my imagination ;).

In high school I did a speech about soccer(even less known about it in the U.S. in the 70's) and i said there were 4 quarters to the game(because I didn't know :) ). Teacher didn't know any better and really neither did anyone else. I guess what I'm saying is judge your instructor's knowledge of the subject and go from there.

Not saying to out and out lie but as YOU see the categories, is what they are. This is always changing in this arena as it evolves. Don't dwell on it too much.

Upvote 0

Apps
Blogs
Carriers
Developers
Forums
Manufacturers
News and Reviews

Mark

Is it a problem for a site to be in multiple categories, a la Blog Tagging (Just add the tags to each entry)?

Upvote 0

Apps
Blogs
Carriers
Developers
Forums
Manufacturers
News and Reviews

Mark

Androidforums.com
Apps
Blogs
Carriers
Developers
Forums
Manufacturers
News and Reviews

Fixed it for ya ;-)

Upvote 0
Thank you for all your kind help so far.

Of course I will add Android Forums and make sure it shows prominently.

If anyone has suggestions for categories or indeed sites please let me know.

As the project progresses I will (if I am allowed) give a link so you can see the results of the work.

Thanks
Mark

Upvote 0
Just a quick update on the college project.

It is progressing steadily - following the advice on this forum I have decided to start with a small number of categories (9) as they could always be expanded if the need arises. Better to have a few categories with a number of sites in rather than lots of categories most of them empty.

The challenge now is to produce the directory and I am on with that - I have loaded 'test' data including this site :) but of course the proof of the pudding so to speak is whether it is useful resource for people searching for Android related sites and this can only be measured by feedback and usage.

I won't put a link here until a moderator confirms whether this is acceptable - I guess not as it may be considered spam - so any feedback from users of this site may be somewhat limited :)

Regards
Mark

Upvote 0
I have now created a basic directory structure and layout and must admit this project is taking considerably more time than I had anticipated. Partly because of the research and technical issues (e.g. Html) but also because I have to write it up for my tutor.

I would be grateful at this stage if l could get some feedback on the basic concept, clarity of layout etc from readers of this thread as you have helped me so far and I would value your input.

I'm sure a mod will correct this post if it is not allowed (possibly viewed as spamming which is not my intention) but the project can be seen at Android Sites Directory
At the moment there are a handful of sites although I have added this site to feature in the right hand column as a thank you for the help I gave received.

The intention is that sites, news feeds and articles will predominantly be submitted by users (or site owners) if the directory takes off. All contributions are obviously checked before going live to avoid spam.

Any feedback is welcome as this will contribute to the project and explain why certain decisions were taken or not as the case may be.

Thank you for your time and apologies to the moderator if I have just committed a big no no.

Mark

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones