1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help with Apps on SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Zotis, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Zotis

Zotis Lurker

I just got a micro SD card for my Sony Xperia XA, formatted it, and put several gigs of pictures, videos, and apps onto it, 7 Apps in total. Now I can't use any of the Apps that are on my SD card, it hardly freed up any room on my internal memory (no where near the amount of gigs I put onto the card), and when I tried moving just one App back to my internal memory it said there wasn't enough memory to do so. I don't understand this at all. If anyone can explain what's going on and point me in the direction of resources to learn how this works I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

This picture is what happens after I try to move this game to my internal storage.
    Screenshot_20180412-090540.png

Advertisement

2. marcelpreda

marcelpreda Member

You really have to check how much storage is free on internal memory.
    Eventually you can try an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.notnull.IdenticalFilesFinder
    It search for identical files, and you can delete some of them.
    E.g when you share pictures/video with some apps like whatsapp, they copy the files under Send folder. So, you may have the same file multiple time on your phone.

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You say you "formatted" the SD card. What do you mean by that? Just formatted it, or formatted it as internal storage (if your phone allows that - many don't)? Then what did you do to move the apps (because it's different in the 2 cases)? Just want to know what your setup is.

Apps should still work, provided they were moved using the system menus (if you move their data using a file explorer the app won't know where you moved it to). Moving apps when the card is formatted as external storage doesn't move the whole app, can move less than half, but in the example you show most of it seems to have been moved. Might your "not freeing up much space" be related to the pictures and videos (especially videos)? You are certain you moved those rather than copied?