1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help with battery drain issue and/or phone replacement suggestions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by meralake, Aug 14, 2012.

1. meralake

meralake Lurker

Hi,

I've had my Atrix since May 2011. It's been great except for the last week and a half, when it developed a very sudden battery drain.

History: Not rooted. I always have it at max battery saver, bluetooth, wifi, gps, background data, all off unless I am using them, with the display set to the dimmest and auto turn off after 30 seconds. I usually don't leave too many apps running when I'm not using it. With these settings, my battery has been lasting for around 2 days or more. I think the last few months my battery was not lasting as long, but not so that I noticed until I thought about it. However, in a matter of two days, my phone just started sucking the battery. The battery will last about 4 to 5 hours with very,very light usage. (Checking/sending around 20 texts, browsing the net for 15 min.) It will last maybe an hour if I am using it to browse the internet for that long. Once it gets to 15%, it will drop to the red in about 30 seconds. Then about 5 mins later it will turn itself off. When I restart it without charging, the battery indicator is back up to 90% but will only last for another 2 to 3 hours with light usage. Restart again after it drains, and battery down to 50%. After that, it will only last a matter minutes. If I charge it to 100% and leave it overnight without touching it for battery is down to 50% 7 hours later. The battery usage graph shows sharp drops whenever I'm actually using the phone.

I hadn't changed any settings and I don't remember any updates.

Things I tried to fix the issue but made no difference:
    New battery.
    New charger.
    Factory reset, 3 times. Twice through the bootup menu and once through the software.
    Cache partition wipe, 2 times.
    Battery recalibration/cycle (let it drain, charge turned off, etc)
    Formatted both internal and external memory.

I've searched for maybe 20 hours on this problem and can't find a fix. Any ideas?
    Also, the battery seems to run warmer than usual, especially when the display is on.

Failing a fix for it, I need a new phone. Any suggestions? I really like it, so would like something equivalent in $300 to $400 range. Long battery life is important to me. However, meager funds make me really hope one of you have a suggestion for me to fix my atrix. :D

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews