1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help with boot loop!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dactta, Jul 25, 2013.

1. dactta

dactta Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2013
    Hi! So today I finally decided to root my phone and all was going well until I loaded Meanrom and got stuck in an infinite boot loop.

I used this guide on youtube:/watch?v=hQtUxEL8pd8 and followed his exact instructions and ended up with a boot loop in the end. I've tried factory resetting the phone, but to no avail. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated, but keep in mind that I'm a newbie when it comes to rooting so I'll need a lot of explanation.

Thank you for your time!

Advertisement

2. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Male
    Disabled
    CT, USA
    Moved to ATR, you should get more responses here. I will guess that you're still s-on, what's happening is that your not able to flash the kernel in the rom. The simplest way would be to flash 4EXT recovery and use the smart flash option. On the phone right now so I can't post links but if you have any questions just post away. :D
    OB
    Edit: See this post for setting up 4EXT recovery: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6011531

3. dactta

dactta Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2013
    Thank you for the response, and you are correct as the phone is still s-on. Can you provide a step-by-step guide on how to fix it? Thanks again!

4. dactta

dactta Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2013
    I'm really sorry but I'm still unsure how to fix the problem and that thread does not provide enough information.

5. lnhs2007

lnhs2007 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Male
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was writing out an explanation, but I don't see what's hard to get about this. I'll make a couple of edits and all credit goes to Brian for this one.

Answering that you are S-On should automatically enable Smart Flash. You can check to make sure by looking in the settings once inside Recovery. Smart Flash allows you to flash things like custom kernels while remaining S-On. Also, I would highly recommend buying the full version of 4ext not only to support the developer, but to get the companion controller app which is very useful.

Brian706 and OverByter like this.
  6. dactta

dactta Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks for the help, I'll post the results later when I get the time to attempt it.

7. dactta

dactta Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2013
    Okay I've downloaded the app and copied it onto the SD card but now I'm not sure where to go from there.

8. lnhs2007

None

Apr 29, 2012
    Male
    Los Angeles, CA
    Search for "File Explorer" on the Play Store and pick one. Using that, find your file on your SD card and install it.

9. dactta

dactta Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2013
    I can't even access the play store since the phone won't boot up. Is that what you were referring to?

10. lnhs2007

None

Apr 29, 2012
    Male
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK OK I misunderstood your original problem and didn't realize you were still stuck in a bootloop. I'm assuming you're currently using TWRP as your recovery, since most of the rooting guides on here have you install that straight away for some reason. I'm attaching a ZIP that you should be able to flash in TWRP that will install 4EXT over TWRP. Check with someone else on here to make sure this is safe to flash! I'm sorry I don't have more time to spend on this, like checking that out myself before posting, but I'm about to leave on a week-long trip and won't be checking the forums during that time. Wanted to just get this up before I leave.
    Assuming you get the all-clear, flash and reboot to recovery. 4EXT should come up. Then you can go into settings and make sure Smart Flash is enabled.
    Note: TWRP backups may not be compatible with 4EXT. I don't really know, so check with someone else to make sure.
    Note to whoever helps out: The ZIP file I've attached is simply the ZIP file 4EXT Recovery Control downloads to the SD card when updating the recovery. I don't know if it's flashable but I seem to remember it being so.
    4EXT 1.0.0.5 RC9: 4EXT_Recovery_Touch_v1.0.0.5_RC9.zip

Tags: