1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Help with charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xzifi, Sep 11, 2014.

1. xzifi

xzifi Lurker

Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I hope you can help me.

My moto g (1st gen) is about to arrive but I don't know how to charge it yet. I heard it takes long to charge in PC and I need a wall adapter for charging on the go anyways. Original brand ones are really expensive and I want to avoid that cost if possible. So is it safe to use a generic (most likely without any brand) wall adapter? For example one that says 100-240VAC, 50-60 Hz Output 5.0VDC 1.2mah. If not, what should I take into account when looking for a charger?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. sbdc003

sbdc003 Android Enthusiast

3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Depending on who you bought it from it may or may not include a wall charger. Verizon, Boost, and Cricket reportedly include a wall charger.

See this thread for more.

4. xzifi

xzifi Lurker

I forgot to mention I purchased it from Amazon, so it doesn't include a charger. That's why I need to purchase one. I know it works without problems with samsung, htc, blackberry, etc chargers but I don't know if it works -without problems and risks- with a generic charger. By generic I mean those chinese cheap ones that "imitate" original ones. So are those safe? Thanks again.

5. For your consideration ...

I recommend that you invest in an OEM charger and an OEM cable. That would give you a baseline for the future that guarantees success.

Third-party chargers and cables may or may not work.

Why are the OEM versions more expensive? Strict quality control. They test every one and reject those that are faulty. This may not be the case with the third-party versions.

... Thom

6. Stepheninkent

Stepheninkent Member

Hold your horses my friend and save yourbucks (pounds if your in the uk) wait until you get your phone then check any old micro usb charger you have ? I can use my kindke charger samsung charger and even my htc chatger, in fact I have not found a single car charger, usb computer charger that does not work
    Chech out that man draw (or stylish handbag) for any old charget and give it a try!

7. xzifi

xzifi Lurker

I have an old samsung one but it's attached to a cable and cannot dettach it, so I can't use the original motorola cable that comes with the phone.

8. Have you looked at E-Bay? An OEM Charger and cable there seems to be about $8 US.

... Thom

9. xzifi

xzifi Lurker

I have. The problem is that there's no way to know whether it's really OEM or not lol. Many sellers claim it's original and it turns out to be a fake one. That's why I'm not sure. Let's suppose I get a fake one (not junk though, something that atleast looks good, but still fake), what's the worst that can happen? Can it damage my phone? Thanks

10. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

I agree my moto g charger charges all my devices. My Moto G, Nexus 7 and my Chromebook. Great charger and if I had to will always buy a Motorola wall charger.

11. travioso

travioso Android Expert

I use my 1A charger from my LG.. charges a lot quicker..

12. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

I'm skeptical about the Nexus 7. Sure it may charge it but it's gonna be darn slow. The charger for my N7 2012 is a 2A charger and it charges slowly even with my 1.8A G2 charger.

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.