• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with default messaging

nachokingp

Lurker
Jan 21, 2010
OK, I've read the other forum posts about how to clear the default messaging app from Manage Applications. The problem I'm having is that I want to set Google Voice to be my default messaging service, but when I go to manage apps, neither the standard Android Messaging app nor the Google Voice app have any defaults set, so I can't clear them, and the phone is not asking me which one to use by default any more. Right now when I get an SMS message to my GV phone number, I get it twice, once to the GV app and once to the Messaging app, and I want it to stop doing that.

That has nothing to do with application defaults on your device. The app default indicates which app is used to send SMS.

It's a Google Voice setting (SMS forwarding). Hit the GV site on your PC (or switch your user agent to Desktop). Go to Settings->Phones and hit the Edit button for your device and disable SMS forwarding.

In the default messaging app, disable notifications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones