• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amcd

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
hi there, i just got my htc dream and i love it. It's obviously locked to rogers but i want to unlock it to switch to fido which brings me to

question 1: Good or not? When i unlock my phone does it mean i can download the apps even if it says i have to pay? [a friend told me this]

question 2: How do i know if my dream is cupcake? my firmware is 1.5 i don't know what that means and it says kernel version too

question 3: if it isn't, is there a way i can jailbreak my phone to make it into cupcake or even better?

if someone could PLEASE help me out i would appreciate it soooo much!

hi there, i just got my htc dream and i love it. It's obviously locked to rogers but i want to unlock it to switch to fido which brings me to

question 1: Good or not? When i unlock my phone does it mean i can download the apps even if it says i have to pay? [a friend told me this]

question 2: How do i know if my dream is cupcake? my firmware is 1.5 i don't know what that means and it says kernel version too

question 3: if it isn't, is there a way i can jailbreak my phone to make it into cupcake or even better?

if someone could PLEASE help me out i would appreciate it soooo much!

1. You don't need to unlock your Dream to use it on Fido, Fido is owned by Rogers.

2. If your Dream is newly purchased from Rogers then it has a perfected SPL and you won't be able to root it (jailbreak). If it's one that you bought off of somebody else it would depend if it's had the E911 update applied or not.

Upvote 0
Fido uses Rogers network. You'll stay on the same network but will have Fido mobile plan.

False. The android market is not controlled by the provider but Google. If an app is 1.99$ you will have to go through Google checkout and be billed on your credit card.

Android uses desert theme name for each version and it can be confusing.
1.5 (Cupcake), 1.6 (Donut), 2.0 (Eclair), 2.2 (Froyo). Right now there are no updates from Rogers (made by HTC) for the Dream past Cupcake 1.5.

Yes there is, GBD has a great guide on this forum that you can look into to get familiar with the procedure before diving in. It's not for the faint of heart but if your well informed it's not that hard to do. You can also have a look on TheUnlockr.com - Cell Phone How To's, Phone Reviews, and Wireless News! for video tutorials.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones