• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Existing Gmail Issue

Kragar

Nov 10, 2009
I have an issue I need help with. My university uses Gmail as our client and I have a Google mail account with them already. When I try to use this account I get an error message that my account is missing “Google Talk” and to contact my admin or use another account.

I really doubt our IT department is going to install Google Talk so am I dead in the water on this and do I have to get a separate Gmail account I do not want or need just to use my Eris? I have not been able to get any apps due to this issue or get all of my contacts. I can use the IMAP to get mail but that is not helping.

Thanks for any help.

1.) Model Number ADR6200
2.) Firmware Version 1.5
3.) Baseband Version 2.32.00.09.26
4.) Kernel Version 2.6.27-e50bba0
5.) Build Number 1.12.605.1

I don't know about your specific problem with Google Talk, but it seems it would be best for you to get a separate Gmail account for you phone anyway, for when you are no longer at that school, or in case they make a change in their email provision.

You can set up your new Gmail account to forward to your school Gmail account, or vice versa.

Or you can set up your new Gmail account to get email from your school Gmail account, and when you reply, it will look like it's coming from your school Gmail account. At least, I think this can be done, I know you can do this with Google and POP email accounts.

Upvote 0
Our system admin had Google Talk disabled for the campus. As I am a professor I doubt I will be going anyplace soon. I newed to find a workaround if I can out trch support is at a loss.
I have my own/company Google Apps Domain, and therefore am the administrator. What you need to do is find whomever from your IT Dept has Administrator access/privledges to the Google Apps account on the Google website. Then, have them go into "Mange This Domain". Find the "Service Settings" tab. "Chat Settings", check the Enable Chat for this Domain box. This will probably handle the Google Talk error you are getting. Then, for good measure, again in "Service Settings", find the drop down for "Mobile". Have them check the box for "Enable Google Sync". Which should allow you to sync everything normally on your phone.
Hope this helps you out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones