• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help With Factory Reset

Bedroom Eyes

May 10, 2011
Canada
So as of more recently, my phone has been acting kinda buggy. I've had the 2.3.5 update since mid January, and as of February or early March, it's been acting up. What happens, is the screen will just stop working, and the phone will either need to be left alone for about ten minutes, or I'll need to take the battery out and soft reset. I've noticed this screen issue mostly after making calls and having the sensor in the earpiece turn off my screen, when the screen comes back on, it's unresponsive. This has only happened since 2.3.5. I've tried removing apps and re-installing them, and nothing has helped so I've decided to take the route of a factory reset.
Could anyone give me a decent step by step guide at backing up my data (contacts[I need to keep these], photos, apps, passwords, etc) and then performing the reset?
I've read on HTC.com that this can be done by going into settings, OR pressing the volume and power buttons? Which one should I do, and how should I back up my contacts and stuff? Anything will help!!

Your contacts will be backed up to your Google account (you can double check this by going to settings > accounts and sync > google and checking that the 'sync contacts' box is ticked.) They should also back up your app data too, but i'm not so sure how reliable it is. Unfortunately I don't know how to backup apps from a non rooted phone, sorry :( In theory, Google should also backup your wifi passwords and some other similar data but it's never worked for me.

If there's anything else you need let me know :)

Upvote 0
Just found MyBackup on Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackup&hl=en which says (quoted from the description)

"MyBackup and MyBackup Pro will work on all Android mobile devices, regardless if they have root access or not.
Backup (with schedule option) to our online secure servers, or SD card, your Applications, Photos, Contacts, Call log, Browser Bookmarks, SMS (text messages), MMS, Calendar, System Settings, Home Screens (including shortcut positions), Alarms, Dictionary, Music Playlists, and more"

So might be worth giving the free version a go and see if it works :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones