1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help with Flashing new Roms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by matt268uk, Apr 27, 2012.

1. matt268uk

matt268uk Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Ringwood,UK
    Hi Everybody,
    Right my problem is i cant seem to flash a new rom,i'm not totally up on all of this stuff but have read and read this forum as well as other places,i have successfully installed the revolutionary system and i have s off.also if i look in my apps i have one thats super user, so this is what i do, i have a new micro SD card thats formatted,i find a rom which had suddenenly become almost impossible and download it,i then connect connect my phone and copy the zipped rom file straight to the sd card.I then unplug the phone turn it off and pull the battery.then holding down the volume key and pressing the power turn it back on,i do a back up then factory wip,dalvik casche wipe and any other wipe,then i install the rom,finally it says reboot system, so i go ahead and reboot and it just gets stuck in a cycle, i have tried lots of roms over time,they seem to install ok but jjust won't finally boot up,the most recent was revolution easter edition,this one got almost to the point of booting up ,i had the signal strength meter and battery and 3g logos but none of the buttons would work and the touch screen was non responsive.so it cant be a certain rom cos i've tried lots,its something i'm doing....can anybody possibly help me,but using easy instructions,i'd be very greatful as i cant install any updates or apps at present as i've rum out of phone memory.thankyou in advance Matt. :)

Advertisement

2. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

How many of the Roms you've tried include a2sd? I'll take a guess at all of them, so you need to create an Ext partition on your sd card using Gparted. There's a faq on a2sd and guide on partioning and setting up VMWare for Gparted in the all things root sticky. If Roms need an Ext partition but you don't have one set up phone will just bootloop.

3. matt268uk

matt268uk Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Ringwood,UK
    Hey Saltire,Thanks for your reply any chance you could post some links or tell me how to do it ?
    ,i have not partitioned my card so maybe thats the problem,i want to change my rom so bad its doing my head in lol, i have no room left for the ota updates that keep coming.....just want something new.

4. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

link to the All Things Root sticky is in my sig (also at the top of the root sub-foruum page btw ;) ) - it has links to everything you need. one other thought, what recovery have you got? - sometimes phone will bootloop after doing your 1st nandroid backup. Since you are S-OFF i'd recommend you check out 4EXT Touch Recovery and flash that - donate version on Play Store or free app on 4ext.net.

I'm also assuming you haven't changed hboot - which you can also do if you're S-OFF - you'd remember if you did, but one thing at a time so read the faq on this once you've sorted flashing custom rom out as it's not something you want to mess up.

edit: (you can hit the thanks button, save's on typing)

matt268uk likes this.
  5. matt268uk

matt268uk Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Ringwood,UK
    I thought i knew roughly what i was doing but now you have just confused the hell out of me......i think i'll have to tollerate the standard rom on the phone.....thanks tho

6. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

You've done the hard part rooting and S-off, now is the fun easy bit. There can be a lot to take in but it is easy, honestly just take some time to read through the guide to partitioning, sort your sd card and then you'll be able to flash most Roms. Don't mean to confuse things, trust yourself once you've read through the guides. Then the benefits will pay off as there's no reason no to.

7. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    Alternatively you can use a Rom which requires you to change hboot and not bother with partitioning your SD. Arguably it's easier, but it is riskier. If you go down this root make sure you're happy with what you're doing before proceeding. A dodgey flash (albeit rare) can lead your Desire to be bricked. Just read the guides here supplied by the experts and ask any questions you feel are unanswered. It seems a shame you do 80% of the work on rooting your phone then just leaving it because you're not too sure. We're all here to help! :)

Tags: