• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with HTC Sync

Finally I managed to detect the problem and it appears to be related to the com ports allocation on my system, as well as registry leftovers.
I've been running another sync software from Sony Ericsson and it had taken up the needed comms resources for the HTC sync.
As there's no point in trying to manually reassign the ports I uninstalled the SE software and performed a thorough manual cleanup of the registry. You need to also delete all HTC Sync related keys from previous installation attempts to perform a "clean" install. Be careful not to delete anything else important that has the letters "htc" in it!
After cleaning up the system from other sync software and the registry cleanup you also need to make sure that you have the latest InstallShield script running (ISScript115.msi). This should be located under \Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\.
Next installation attempt was successful and there was no Error 1713 anymore. HTC Sync now works fine.
However, the steps above could prove useless in other cases, but I think it's worth the try.:)

Hope this is helpful...

Upvote 0
Finally I managed to detect the problem and it appears to be related to the com ports allocation on my system, as well as registry leftovers.
I've been running another sync software from Sony Ericsson and it had taken up the needed comms resources for the HTC sync.
As there's no point in trying to manually reassign the ports I uninstalled the SE software and performed a thorough manual cleanup of the registry. You need to also delete all HTC Sync related keys from previous installation attempts to perform a "clean" install. Be careful not to delete anything else important that has the letters "htc" in it!
After cleaning up the system from other sync software and the registry cleanup you also need to make sure that you have the latest InstallShield script running (ISScript115.msi). This should be located under \Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\.
Next installation attempt was successful and there was no Error 1713 anymore. HTC Sync now works fine.
However, the steps above could prove useless in other cases, but I think it's worth the try.:)

Hope this is helpful...

Excellent, thanks. I'll give it a go. Trouble is I'm not really sure what to clean in the registry. Do I just search "htc" on my computer to see what omes up ?

Upvote 0
AT LAST. Thanks. Seems it was the Sony PC Suite that was doing it. Uninstalled that and then managed to install HTC Sync. Now it just says disconnected ... 2 steps forward,

if it just say "disconected", then without unplugging the phone, just power it off and then on again, and it will connect.Happens al the time to me too but it's not big deal.
Good luck

Upvote 0
I was unable to connect my Hero to the HTC Sync manager, but finally I made it :)

Here's what to do (On a Vista 32-bit computer):

1. On your phone go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and turn USB Debugging ON.

2. Turn OFF your Hero and OPEN HTC Sync on your computer.

3. Connect USB cable to computer AND THEN to your phone.

4. Turn ON your phone again.

5. Now you should see a sync icon aside of the USB icon on your Hero's status bar. Pull the notificatin bar down and click on the sync icon and follow the steps in the HTC sync manager on your computer.

I hope this would be at any help for Vista users and perhaps XP users too.

Hi everyone, I've had similar frustrating problems with my HTC Hero on Orange and getting it to sync with Windows Vista 32 bit. I followed HTCHero's advice above, and perhaps the following additions may be useful to people:

Once HTC Sync was running I conneted USB to computer, then to phone and swtched phone on. Vista popped up message "installing device driver software", then located it and installed it automatically.

The phone connection wizard started on HTC sync, allowed me to change name of the phone and the date/time settings.

Back to the HTC Sync window and "Application Installer" option appears on the window alongsid Sync Now and Sync Manager. On my phone the Sync status showed as connected. I clciked Sync Now on the computer, and when nothing appeared to happen I also clicked Sync Now on the phone.

The Sync Settings Wizard ran giving me options to choose what to sync, but only offered Windows Calendar and Windows Contacts, and I could only select one of the two. I selected Contacts to see if it worked and it synchronized succesfully and imported contacts from Windows Contacts to my Phone Contacts.

So this aspect of Sync worked, but I'm very disappointed that I was unable to sync anything else (I use Outlook and wanted to sync my calendar and contacts. I had to save my outlook contacts as a .csv file, import into Windows Contacts in order to be able to sync them.) And I think it's completely rubbish that it doesn't allow you to sync both calendar and contacts.

Upvote 0
Is ther any significance in running the Sync software from the SD card, When I click it it dont work. runs the EXE from the website and loaded the software, but still wont sync my contats over the hero

g Phone into Computer via USB
2.Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3.Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4.Reboot
5.Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard

Installing on Windows Vista

1- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
2- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4- Should not need to reboot on Vista unless you have UAC on.
5- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard
6- People having issues with Vista may want to follow the 7 fix

Installing on Windows 7 (untested as away from home but should fix the issue)

1- Navigate to c:\program files
2- Create this directory structure underneath \HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x86\
3- Unzip the uploaded zip file to that folder http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VCAV799X
4- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
5- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
6- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
7- Reboot
8- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard[/quote]

Upvote 0
I just got the Sprint HTC Hero. I'm trying to install HTC Sync on a new (not particularly cluttered) 32-bit WinXP Home SP3 Lenovo S12.

The @#$!&%% install eats my network connection!!! The drivers for the network controller, etc. are gone!

I tried the version off the sd card and the version off the HTC site. Same result. I had to do a system restore to get my connectivity back. I've been at this computer stuff for a looonnnng time and I've never had an install do this to me. What gives?

Upvote 0
If your are trying to sync Outlook 2000+ with Hero, forget it!!! it will not work
I have been bouncing emails with HTC techincal for two weeks with no Joy

I have found a work-around, sync your outlook2000+calender as this will work, but for your contacts, sync with Microsoft address book. this shares your outlook .pst file and should auto update with outlook. It is currently working for me

Not ideal but hey gota do what you can. HTC have told me to keep my eye open for a new version of HYC sync:rolleyes:

Is ther any significance in running the Sync software from the SD card, When I click it it dont work. runs the EXE from the website and loaded the software, but still wont sync my contats over the hero

g Phone into Computer via USB
2.Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3.Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4.Reboot
5.Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard

Installing on Windows Vista

1- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
2- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4- Should not need to reboot on Vista unless you have UAC on.
5- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard
6- People having issues with Vista may want to follow the 7 fix

Installing on Windows 7 (untested as away from home but should fix the issue)

1- Navigate to c:\program files
2- Create this directory structure underneath \HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x86\
3- Unzip the uploaded zip file to that folder http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VCAV799X
4- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
5- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
6- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
7- Reboot
8- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Can you run me through how you did it, because HTC are telling me that it will not work with Outlook 2000+

No idea, I simply installed and launched HTC Sync, connected the phone via USB, selected "sync with PC" from the phone notification area, and it worked.

That said, I'm having issues with HTC Sync - I usually can't even start it, it complains about a missing DLL library. Somehow it starts after reboot. But when it does, the synchronization works. :)

Upvote 0
I'm having some issues with my Vista 32 recognizing my phone. I can connect and mount the drive with no problems, but I can't get HTC Sync to work at all.

I think the Sync drivers aren't installed correctly. The phone (HTC Phone or Android) do not show up on my device manager list. All I see is "Unknown Device".

When I try to update the drivers manually, it tells me that the drivers are not for 32-bin Windows. I know I'm using the right ones.

Anyway--has anyone seen this issue or can offer any advice? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have a couple of HTC Sync problems and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing them.

HTC Hero / Sprint
Firmware 1.5
Kernel Ver: 2.6.27.-533ce29d
Build: 1.29.651.1 CL69164 release-keys
Software Ver: 1.29.651.1
hardware ver: 0002

Windows Vista X64
HTC Sync: 2.05

Problem #1

Can run Sync after booting Windows. If Windows sleeps, cannot reconnect phone (shows disconnected in HTC Sync). Must reboot PC to connect.

Problem #2

Is there any way to HTC Sync via bluetooth? I'm so used to using Treo to sync via bluetooth and not have to have USB cable to sync.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The going into Settings -> Applications -> Development and turning on usb debugging seems to help with connection issues.

The problem I find and have seen with a few others from complaints on various forums is the program just stinks. The "syncing" is very rudimentary. It can easily overwrite contacts and appts instead of merging them causing you to lose info. The notes section on the phone is limited to how many characters it can take. It's bad enough the watered down PIM can't accept user fields or do any kind of advanced mapping like some of the more ancient OS's out there. HTC Sync has the ability to delete contacts and appts in Outlook without your knowledge or say. It even shows it in the settings if you look. I lost info for about 60 contacts it just deleted out of nowhere. It modified about 20 or so contacts that were never even touched. The program is just buggy. Love the phone and Android. Hate the fact that they make it only work seamlessly with google. It's just ignorant to expect everyone to switch to google's PIM when it's still behind the times. webOS is the same way and Palm is a worse offender because they had 13yrs of an excellent PIM they just kicked to the curb when designing webOS. They also kicked their Palm Desktop and syncing there as well. It's a shame that smarphones are getting all these new features yet get dumber and dumber when it comes to the basic features that originally made them smartphones.

Upvote 0
OK, I have Windows vista all upgraded, newest version of firmware on phone, I have used both the newest HTC Sync and the version from the SD card. In all circumstances I am able to get it to sync correctly. It goes through the whole process of syncing, report and all, but will not copy any of the contacts from the phone to outlook (03'). Anyone have any thoughts? This worked for my Touch Pro.

Edit
After a couple of back and forths with HTC this is what we figured out, hope this helps someone. If your phone goes through everything seemingly fine but your contacts won't sync, check to see if your contacts are listed as google (listed next to contact name in contacts) or phone. If not listed as phone they won't swap over to outlook. My work around is to upload contacts from my last phone(windows sync), delete all from my Hero, and sync again.

Upvote 0
Hi ldn-j just wondered if you managed to fix the problem as i have the same issue I can not get the htc sync software on my pc xp 64bit my error is 1722
There is a problem with this windows installer package A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
Contact your support personnel or package vendor action CA_driver install, location\....\MSI15DA.temp,comand
turned off all anti virus programs first emailed HTC but no reply as yet there are intereting HTC install log files in the TEMP folder though of which I have sent to HTC tech support let me know if you manage to get it installed cheers

i had the same issue on XP 32 bit. To fix it just give everyone full control permission on c:\Documents and folders\%username%\Local Settings\Temp folder and it worked.

Upvote 0
Im having this problem now on XP sp3 (32 bit) I HAD the program installed but uninstalled it for some reason and now can't reinstall. Ive deleted all the keys and such and I still get the error - on the download or the install off my hero :( My only other computer is a mac and I really dont want to reinstall windows.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Go to the HTC homepage, jus yesterday it has been released a new version of HTC Sync.
I had problems too with the old version on my Xp netbook (although on my Vista machines it always worked just fine) but this new version works perfectly.

On another note: can anyone tell me how to back up the contents of my Hero on a PC?
I would like to install a new ROM but I don't want to loose forever all my apps, files, settings, contacts etc.
Any Idea?

Upvote 0
Just received the new Hero on Orange and found the forums. When I try to install HTC Sync on my PC I get an error message: "Error 1713. HTC Sync cannot install one of its required produts. Contact your technical support group."

I have AVG Antivirus which is disabled by turning the resident shield off.

Does anyone have any clues why Sync is not installing ?

Many thanks

Hey could you eventually install HTC Sync? I am also getting error 1713 now :(
Someone please help.

Upvote 0
I just got the Sprint HTC Hero. I'm trying to install HTC Sync on a new (not particularly cluttered) 32-bit WinXP Home SP3 Lenovo S12.

The @#$!&%% install eats my network connection!!! The drivers for the network controller, etc. are gone!

I tried the version off the sd card and the version off the HTC site. Same result. I had to do a system restore to get my connectivity back. I've been at this computer stuff for a looonnnng time and I've never had an install do this to me. What gives?

I used the HTC Sync and found after a reboot that my internet connection was screwed (slow, failed downloads etc) Used TcpView and it showed about 50 listening connections on port 5037. I guess this port is used for an Android debuging bridge or something. There was a bunch of processes with TODO: in the descriptions and a couple of services running. What kind of crap is this?.. I must have used a bad version or something because when I installed it a month ago or so it seemed to work fine (alltho basically useless unless updating ROM). Going to only use HTC Sync IF Rogers ever updates Android for Magic(which I doubt).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones